iMac waking from sleep issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 12dylan34, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

This issue has sort of just sprang up in the last several weeks, and it's rather annoying.

My late 2012 iMac used to wake up immediately, I would put in my password, it would unlock, and things would be peachy.

Now, however, it takes a good long while to wake up after pushing buttons on the keyboard (the screen just sits there with the backlight on, but black), and it doesn't let me move the mouse or put in my password for as much as 30-60 seconds after it wakes up. Sometimes, it goes back to sleep again before it lets me input the password, and I have to wake it back up again, though the second time around, it works almost immediately.

I have the 1TB fusion drive, the 680MX, the 3.4GHz i7, etc.

I know it's not a keyboard and mouse connectivity issue because it begins to wake up right after a push a button on the keyboard.

Thanks, and any help would be appreciated.

2. cole01 macrumors 6502

You're definitely not the only one. I still experience this issue occasionally and still hope that Apple will release a fix someday...hoping it's in Mavericks. It can be quite frustrating when in a hurry, especially from such a powerful machine! Things seemed to get a little better for me on 10.8.4 and since reading that 10.8.5 has caused so many issues, I'll stay put on this OS for now.

Look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1564174

3. faxao macrumors regular

Experiencing the same problem here with my brand new 27" i7 :(

Tried to play around with different settings in the energy saver menu but so far no luck. It seems to me more hardware than software related since it was difficult for me to have the mouse recognized even during the initial setup.

Never had such a problem with my previous 27" 2009....

4. richard13 macrumors 6502a

At least your iMac eventually does wake up. Mine has had a sleep problem since I got it and has led me to keep it on all the time.

My problem is that either when going to sleep or when trying to wake the system crashes (I can't tell which from the console logs). There is no recovery at this point other than to turn the system completely off and turn it back on. I've complained to Apple about it but since the problem is not consistent and would require me to leave my iMac with them possibly for several days until (and if) it happened while in their hands. Another problem (possibly related) I've had with sleep/wake is with WOL. Most of the time I am unable to wake my iMac by trying to access it from my MBP. This is another reason for me not using sleep.

I believe that since this problem has existed through a couple OS X revisions that it's hardware related. Possibly that the power supply is just slightly out of spec and able to work most of the time but failing during low power conditions.

5. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, at least I'm not alone...it's really annoying when I'm in a hurry, though. I had to send an email the other day very quickly, and it was rather obnoxious when I had to wait for it to get its stuff together.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Same here since 10.8.5 update. Same iMac as you. Mine will wake up slowly (about 30 seconds) but will at least stay running. It was instant with 10.8.4. All I can think of is the last update. Tried playing with the settings but to no avail.

7. faxao macrumors regular

I am on 10.8.5 as well on a brand new 27" i7 and having the "no wake up from sleep" issue.

I am trying different setting combinations of the Energy Saver menu and (apparently) unflagging the "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep" is doing the trick.

Now the iMac is waking up as it is supposed to either pushing any keyboard key or clicking the mouse (both of them Apple bluetooth devices). :p

Attached Files:

8. seble macrumors 6502a

Wow I'm scared to update 10.8.5. I updated to 10.8.4 and that caused it for me. It was absolutely fine before. Now its a good 20 seconds+ before the machine wakes up. and sometimes when I'm using it, it'll go back to the 'lock screen' (screen where you have to enter your password after waking from sleep) in the middle of doing something! (Though this has only happened twice).

Looks like I won't be updating to the latest software till I know the bug is fixed!