iMac Warranty?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wizzykin, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Wizzykin macrumors newbie

Ok - so I'm getting pretty close to walking into best buy and get a 21.5" 2011 iMac. From what I've read - skip the Best Buy plan (I always do anyway), but get the AppleCare Protection Plan.

From what I've read, it lasts 3 years and has pretty good protection when something happens.

Does it basically mean if say in 2 years my iMac HDD fails, they'd fix it for free? How exactly does it work?

Also - can I buy it online AFTER I've made my purchase, or will Best Buy offer it while I'm buying it? I'd prefer to just order it online after I've gotten it home and set up.

Which brings me to another question - how long does the basic warranty last? Should I get the Protection Plan right away, or wait until the default basic one wears off, since I'll get that extra time?'

Oh yeah - and can you extend the plan after the 3 years are up, or are you then all by yourself?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Compare the Best Buy warranty to Apple Care. Both will have their terms online for easy reading at your leisure.

If your iMac HDD fails 2 years from now, my understanding is they will fix it but don't quote me on that. Get to reading.

You can buy your Apple Care after you buy your Mac. You have 1 year from date of purchase to buy and activate, don't wait until the 364th day.

I don't think you can add BB's warranty at a later date.

The warranty on an apple iMac is 1 year from date of purchase if you're in the US.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Something that AppleCare gives you that the Best Buy warantee won't give you is free phone support for 3 years. This means that you can call Apple up to ask questions or report problems that they will work personally with you on solve those problems. Without AppleCare you only get 90 days of free phone support. A very valuable added benefit, IMO.

4. yeg780 macrumors newbie

yeg780

I bought Apple Care for my iMac three years ago. My warranty expires this week and last weekend my hdd was failing. I took it in on Monday and got a phone call earlier today to pick it up. They replaced my failing 320GB hdd with a 500GB hdd free of charge :) Will always buy Apple Care.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Better change that hdd in ur sig to 500 gig. :)

Cheers,

6. creepy crab macrumors member

Applecare does seem like a no brainer imo. When you spend a lot of money on a computer, you want to make sure it's covered beyond a year! Luckily as a UK student apple kindly extended my warranty to 3 years, so the only thing i loose out on is having to get my iMac to an applestore myself, they won't pick it up. if you live a bit out of town, go with applecare!