IMac White Garbage Screen on Startup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SomedayISuppose, Mar 22, 2015.

1. SomedayISuppose macrumors newbie

Hey folks, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 21.5 inch iMac, late 2009 model I believe.

A week or so ago we had two power failures back to back, and the Mac wouldn't boot back up. I tried to do a drive clean up, but even when booting into disk manager the screen had garbage on it. At this point it won't boot at all, screen shot attached.

Other notes, the hard drive failed on this machine about a year ago and I replaced with a hybird SSD, and also increased the ram to 16 at that point in time.

Any thoughts as to where to look, and is it worth trying to fix?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Attached Files:

2. SomedayISuppose thread starter macrumors newbie

Does no response mean no one has seen this before? That can't possibly be good...

Scott

3. kepler20b macrumors 6502

hardware failure.

difficult to diagnose unless you can crack it open and test each part individually.

powersupply, graphics card, take your pick. You can still access your info using target disk mode. Even if you can browse and push/pull data from the drive it does not exonerate the harddrive until you can get smart readings.

4. blufrog macrumors member

Sounds like it suffered a power surge and it's damaged one or more components.

5. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

If even the startup manager appears corrupted, then you can indeed discount the HDD (and unfortunately, target disk mode is not an option if the system isn't even getting that far... though it sounds like you're quite capable of extracting your data without that).

RAM's a possibility, but the system would likely fail POST if that were the case, and display nothing. So my bet's on the graphics card - unfortunately, that'd mean the system requires a replacement logic board. If that's the case, then you could probably get a more recent model for less cash than it'd take to repair this one.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

GPU impending failure

If it is replaceable, do so.

If it soldered to logic board like new ones, you are out of luck.