iMac... Whoah!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by outlandos, Jul 11, 2007.

1. outlandos macrumors regular

I have been hanging around on the Macbook (Pro) boards for a long time and was about to buy one, but today I finally did visit an Apple Store and although the Macbook Pro was nice, I totally loved the 24'' iMac!

So, now I will either wait for the new iMacs or buy a Macbook Pro.

But, what will be the more powerful computer, the (new) iMac's or the current Santa-Rosa Macbook Pro's?

Because I will be playing games on it, not all that much, but just from time to time to have some fun.

Cheers,

outlandos

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Hmm, it's difficult to tell really. If you don't need the mobility of a MacBook Pro and the new iMacs are equipped with Santa Rosa, then yes, I'd go for the iMac. However, that decision depends on your needs and if the next iMacs have Santa Rosa.

3. superlatic macrumors regular

depends whats important to you

if your a gamer id say go with the imac, as the imac 24 inch may well offer a better card than the 8600GT, or at least the option to have that card with more vram

also imacs still use desktop hdd's so you will get a hell of alot more storage capacity

4. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I run a MacBook Pro with a 23" Cinema Display. If I didn't have the display, I wouldn't be too happy with just the MacBook Pro... The Cinema Display's screen is so much better than the LED on the MacBook Pro- so much brighter, and much much "whiter" in the whites. Stuff just looks so good big! If a redesigned iMac had been out 3 weeks ago, I would have gone with the 24" one for sure. So I say iMac.

5. outlandos thread starter macrumors regular

6. theheyes macrumors regular

Go for the iMac but dont forget you're not gonna get amazing framerates at native resolution on the 24". Not unless they SERIOUSLY upgrade the card in there.

7. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Those 24" imacs are eye-catching, I was just in the store the other day and never thought I'd want a screen that big - changed my mind real quick!

allison.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

go the iMac man... itl be worth it, unless u want an external monitor.. i have me mbp and 19' external, like halsey said it wouldnt b worth it if u had no monitor... not enuf space!!!

9. Maxington macrumors 6502

The iMac will most likely be the more powerful computer as the new chip's they come with should be more powerful + the added benefit of a better vid card as people have stated. If your a gamer and you don't "need" portability then wait for the rockin iMac 24"

10. Gaius macrumors newbie

I'll be making my long awaited jump to Apple with one of these beauties too :)

11. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

This may be a terrible question, but not sure where else to ask.

Do the iMacs have any sort of DVI/VGA in or out? Just asking because I currently have an Intel MBP that I hook up a second monitor to when I'm using it at my desk. Just out of curiosity's sake I was wondering if there'd be some way to possibly use the iMac monitor as a second monitor when I want to use my laptop at my workstation. Then at times when I don't have my laptop at my workstation I could just use the iMac as usual.

12. Maxington macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Current iMacs have a mini-dvi out that you can buy an adapter for... not sure what the new iMacs will have?

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

14. DrDamn macrumors newbie

Mini-DVI out as illustrated above - this won't do what you want though as you need an input not an output. The current socket provides the facility for dual-screen for the iMac. It would be great to have some sort of video input was provided on the new iMac's - but considered opinion is that it is unlikely.