Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outlandos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I have been hanging around on the Macbook (Pro) boards for a long time and was about to buy one, but today I finally did visit an Apple Store and although the Macbook Pro was nice, I totally loved the 24'' iMac!

So, now I will either wait for the new iMacs or buy a Macbook Pro.

But, what will be the more powerful computer, the (new) iMac's or the current Santa-Rosa Macbook Pro's?

Because I will be playing games on it, not all that much, but just from time to time to have some fun.

Cheers,

outlandos

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
I have been hanging around on the Macbook (Pro) boards for a long time and was about to buy one, but today I finally did visit an Apple Store and although the Macbook Pro was nice, I totally loved the 24'' iMac!

But, what will be the more powerful computer, the (new) iMac's or the current Santa-Rosa Macbook Pro's?

Because I will be playing games on it, not all that much, but just from time to time to have some fun.

Cheers,

outlandos

Hmm, it's difficult to tell really. If you don't need the mobility of a MacBook Pro and the new iMacs are equipped with Santa Rosa, then yes, I'd go for the iMac. However, that decision depends on your needs and if the next iMacs have Santa Rosa.

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
depends whats important to you

Cheers,

outlandos

if your a gamer id say go with the imac, as the imac 24 inch may well offer a better card than the 8600GT, or at least the option to have that card with more vram

also imacs still use desktop hdd's so you will get a hell of alot more storage capacity

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
I run a MacBook Pro with a 23" Cinema Display. If I didn't have the display, I wouldn't be too happy with just the MacBook Pro... The Cinema Display's screen is so much better than the LED on the MacBook Pro- so much brighter, and much much "whiter" in the whites. Stuff just looks so good big! If a redesigned iMac had been out 3 weeks ago, I would have gone with the 24" one for sure. So I say iMac.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Go for the iMac but dont forget you're not gonna get amazing framerates at native resolution on the 24". Not unless they SERIOUSLY upgrade the card in there.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Those 24" imacs are eye-catching, I was just in the store the other day and never thought I'd want a screen that big - changed my mind real quick!

allison.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
go the iMac man... itl be worth it, unless u want an external monitor.. i have me mbp and 19' external, like halsey said it wouldnt b worth it if u had no monitor... not enuf space!!!

Maxington

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Oshkosh, WI

The iMac will most likely be the more powerful computer as the new chip's they come with should be more powerful + the added benefit of a better vid card as people have stated. If your a gamer and you don't "need" portability then wait for the rockin iMac 24"

Gaius

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I'll be making my long awaited jump to Apple with one of these beauties too :)

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
This may be a terrible question, but not sure where else to ask.

Do the iMacs have any sort of DVI/VGA in or out? Just asking because I currently have an Intel MBP that I hook up a second monitor to when I'm using it at my desk. Just out of curiosity's sake I was wondering if there'd be some way to possibly use the iMac monitor as a second monitor when I want to use my laptop at my workstation. Then at times when I don't have my laptop at my workstation I could just use the iMac as usual.

Maxington

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Oshkosh, WI
gallery-big-04.jpg

Current iMacs have a mini-dvi out that you can buy an adapter for... not sure what the new iMacs will have?

DrDamn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
This may be a terrible question, but not sure where else to ask.

Do the iMacs have any sort of DVI/VGA in or out? Just asking because I currently have an Intel MBP that I hook up a second monitor to when I'm using it at my desk. Just out of curiosity's sake I was wondering if there'd be some way to possibly use the iMac monitor as a second monitor when I want to use my laptop at my workstation. Then at times when I don't have my laptop at my workstation I could just use the iMac as usual.

Mini-DVI out as illustrated above - this won't do what you want though as you need an input not an output. The current socket provides the facility for dual-screen for the iMac. It would be great to have some sort of video input was provided on the new iMac's - but considered opinion is that it is unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.