iMac wifi broken?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mick564, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mick564 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    This week my iMac wifi suddenly got very slow, a website like google takes 5 minutes to load when normally it took seconds.
    At first i tought it was a software problem so i reinstalled snow leopard.
    After that internet was still very slow on my iMac.
    On my Xbox 360/PS3/Ipod Touch and HTC wifi works like a charm.

Are there things i could try to fix this issue ? Or should i send it back to apple ?
    I bought this iMac in january earlier this year.

Greetz,
    Mick

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you connect the iMac to the Internet via Ethernet cable? That would show where the issues is.

3. mick564 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can try to move the imac downstairs and connect it directly with my router.
    I'll let you know if that helps.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I got the other devices work OK but wouldn't it be easiest to reset the modem and router and then check before going to the trouble of relocating the iMac?

5. mick564 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already resetted the modem and router, also i've changed the wifi channel.. i also went on my neighbours wifi network wich is also normally fast,but now also very slow.

6. Drewbie macrumors member

if you know your wireless network name and password then go to Mac HD > library > preferences > and move the system configuration folder to the desktop.

reboot the system and it will have reset ALL of your network connections and settings

reconnect and test it out after that

7. mick564 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it , didn't help.
    I have Applecare, but if it turn's out the mac is ok, but my router isn't are they gonna charge money for it ? Else i'm gonna call apple tomorrow to see if they can fix this issue.

8. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Sounds like a DNS issue to me, have you tried changing the DNS that your using to OpenDNS or Google's DNS servers?