iMac Wifi issues.... Going insane. PLEASE help/input

Discussion in 'iMac' started by exileskimer, May 24, 2012.

1. exileskimer macrumors member

So my iMac has been working perfectly fine for two months now. It's the base model 2011. I started playing diablo 3 recently so the only logical explanation I can drum up is an overheated broken wifi card

All of a sudden my iMac started dropping wifi connection every minute about. I was running mountain lion so I was like ok let's wipe the iMac and go to lion. Fresh start. No go. Still drops.

Figured ok maybe it's my airport extreme. Completely redid my home network. And got a new airport extreme. No go.

Figured it was maybe uverse. Reset uverse completely. No go

None of my other devices... iPad, iPhone, android have any wifi problems at all

Just my iMac. I'm going insane. Can't figure this out for the life or me.

Could it be a bad wifi card?

----------

Also when it does work. Speed tests show it is only going about 1/20 of the network speed that all other devices get

2. nlew macrumors newbie

From reading your diagnostic steps, I think you were insane before your wifi issues.

3. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Lol. I did do normal troubleshooting steps before I tried all the extreme ones I listed lol.

Everything from resetting SMC to making new network locations....

Anyone have any thoughts?

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

5. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes it will fix it, sometimes it won't. Regardless, the "fix" doesn't last for more than 60 seconds

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Is your network password protected?
    Did you use the same SSID or a new one in recreating the network?

One of the problems seems to have to do with keychain corruption.

7. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Currently its unprotected. I've tried protected

And remember I've completely restored the pc

8. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Don't understand your reply. WiFi Diagnostics is part of Lion Core Services and might help you troubleshoot your issue. It's a program you run.

9. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Thought you just meant the assistant/diagnostics in wifi settings

Yah I have it up now. Want me to record what it says?

What should I be looking for

http://tinypic.com/r/2hgfmaf/6

10. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I've never used the tool to troubleshoot a problem, but from what I have seen using it on a working system, the logging feature seems like it would show error or exceptional conditions if one is having wifi issues.

Maybe we can both learn something here!

11. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

12. LaWally macrumors 6502a

That is an ugly chart. I ran the performance monitor on my system and the signal was a nearly constant -37 and the noise a nearly constant -90. Your signal fluctuations make me wonder if you've got interference.

13. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Nothing has really changed in the house... All my other laptops and iPads and everything work fine....

How could I go about fixing the interference?

Can you show me what yours looks like?

14. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Here is my chart.

Attached Files:

15. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Oh **** lol

Any ideas about hOw to fix interference

16. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering now if your chart is illustrative of a bad wifi card. If we assume your router is putting out a good wifi signal (because your iPhone and iPad connectivity is good), then maybe what this chart shows is a wifi card that is not receiving a constant signal. That could explain the dropped connections.

17. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Taking the iMac to a friends house. If its doing it's there. I got to assume its a bad card

What do you think?

Btw. I appreciate all the helP!

18. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member

Same issue here. Different ISP and all

Trying one more system restore here

Then bringing it in to genius bar tomorrow

Thanks again for all the helP

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

Too many variables to figure out still. You need to start eliminating some....

Start simple, and work to more complicated steps.

First... connect your iMac to the router with an ethernet cord.... If it still drops out then it's not Wifi, it's something else.

Then swap out the router for known working one. If it still drops out, it's not the router.

Are you on ADSL? Has someone removed the noise filter? Is the land-line telephone still firmly connected. In fact, unplug all the phones. Is it still dropping out? If not... problem may be with the phones.

Are the phones cordless? Unplug them and check. If the dropouts continue, plug them in one by one.

Have you changed Wifi channels? A neighbour may have installed something new.

Are you sure the internet connection from your house to the ISP is clean? Phone and and iPads don't really tax the connection the way a computer can. Plug a borrowed computer directly into the modem, and see do one of the speed checks. See if the connection speed is what you expect. If not, it's modem or ISP issues.

Your issue sounds, incidentally, just like a friend of mine. She was going mad with dropouts, even though her daughter's iPhone was fine. The phone company (ISP) finally sent someone who checked everything and said that actually they were aware of an issue in their switching office. She was pretty mad because she had been talking to phone support who had her doing all sorts of gymnastics (both virtual and actual) - though they knew it was in their offices.

In my experience, start with the easy stuff... and then assume it's the ISP's fault. If you can't eliminate the ISP as the source of the problem, then start with your own setup.

Luck.

20. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I was going to suggest something like that. I would agree all things point to a bad card if the problem is repeated at your friends house.

BTW, iMacs are great until you have to lug them around.

----------

Don't forget to take your ugly chart with you ... and maybe a copy of mine too.

21. exileskimer thread starter macrumors member