iMac WiFi issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PantherCreek, Mar 2, 2014.

1. PantherCreek macrumors regular

I've been dealing with this issue for a while and can't seem to figure it out. Every so often, sometimes up to every 30 seconds, my WiFi will drop out. I run network diagnostics through the network preferences and it does the usual cycle and it works, sometimes for days, sometimes for just a few minutes. I'm not sure if this is a computer issue or an ISP issue. I'm hoping someone out here can help me resolve this so I stop dropping WiFi.

Attached Files:

2. PantherCreek thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention - no WiFi connectivity issues with anything else in the house, iPads, iPhones, AppleTVs, nothing else has this issue.

3. cynics macrumors G3

What type of router? And when does this happen?

I notice on my 2013 iMac with an Airport Extreme when I turn it on on rare occasions I won't have a connection to the internet but I'll be connected to the router. I'll need to do the same thing and it starts working generally with a message prior that says "Network changes have been detected" then it works fine for a few days.

This only happens when I turn on the Mac from being off (works fine bringing it back from sleep). Its a bit annoying considering this is all brand new Apple branded equipment. Everything else (iPhone, iPad, Android Tablet, etc) all work flawlessly so I don't think its an issue with the router.

4. PantherCreek thread starter macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme as well and I rarely turn off my computer. It seems to happen during high traffic times more often, although I can't say it's only during weekend nights, because it'll happen mid- day as well, just not nearly as often.

I never really had an issue when I used comcast or uverse, this is a recent issue now that where I live verizon fios is my only option. I have an urge to blame my ISP - but the fact that nothing else has the connection issues makes it hard to think it's their end.