iMac wifi problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robo44, Dec 15, 2013.

1. robo44 macrumors member

Hi i have an iMac and keep having wifi problems.
    I only have a 2mg internet connection and sometimes the router is going a full speed (blinking) and no one can get on the net.
    I have tracked it down to the iMac as if i disconnect the wifi connection off the mac the router goes to normal.
    Is there anyway i can find out what the iMac is doing i.e. updating/downloading
    as i have made sure no programmes are running that i know of.
    Any advice would be appreciated...

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. A Mac would never block a whole wireless system unless you have Trojan software on it.

2. Get into your wireless router and change the channel of the wireless. You can check the wireless channels others around your are using by getting the free software iStumbler Beta and then see what other wireless is doing around you. This way you change your wireless signal channel to be different to mitigate channel overlap.

3. Follow the steps in the older blog posts Resolving Stubborn Wi-Fi Connection Problems in Mac OS X & About Wireless Diagnostics & the video Wi-Fi Connection Problem Mac OS X Mavericks.

4. ALWAYS post what Mac you are using along with what version of OS X are your using, thank you.

3. robo44 thread starter macrumors member

sorted

it was nothing to do with Trojan software all it was was every time my wife imported photos on the mac it in turn uploaded them to iCloud straight away so i stopped that and the router is now back to normal.