iMac wifi the good and bad...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lancer, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'm getting a new 2012 iMac soon (I'm sick of saying that, come on Apple!) and will likely have to connect it via wifi but have heard this can result in bad network performance for media files. I'd like other peoples experiences with this.

Currently my G5PM has a Ethernet connection but it will be sharing the same room as the new iMac and it only has one Ethernet connection, my only other options would be to get a Ethernet hub in the room to share it.

I have a LAN with shared media files on a PC in another room, plus of course the Internet connection.

How good/bad is wifi networking on the iMac?
    Would I be better off getting the Ethernet hub?

2. satcomer, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you want to use 720 or 1080 media files then you better use Wireless N in the upper frequencies if you are in a area that has a lot of 2.4 wireless floating about (use iStumbler) to see the other networks.

3. TX328F macrumors newbie

I switched from a wired ethernet connection to wifi a few months ago and I have not noticed any difference with my iMac 27. In fact, I measured the actual connection speed using an ISP provided application in both wired and wifi mode and there was no difference (using a 15 Mbps internet link).

4. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

My internet is 'only' 7-8Mbps (first world problem) which will be much slower than the LAN or WiFi.

The wireless router is from my ISP and located in the next room about 5-6 meters away from where the iMac will be.

I could buy a Ether hub as they are not very expensive but that means yet another device to plug in.

Oh when setting up the new iMac I'll be using the migrate assistant on first boot up but from memory if it's not plugged in it looks for a WiFi signal so there shouldn't be any conflict between IP addresses right? When I get both computers running after the migration.

5. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I've not had any problems with my iMac with Wifi, other than it dropping out once in a while, which doesn't seem to happen anymore.