iMac will focus on gaming? (2012)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nlr, Jul 19, 2012.

1. nlr macrumors 6502

Do you think apple will make more of an effort with the GPU in the new iMac? I would really like a mac which is capable of playing most games at the native resolution.

2. antidromic macrumors newbie

antidromic

It's unlikely; seeing as us gamers aren't Apple's core demographic, and only about 4% of Steam users use a Mac.

Although, the 680M, which is probably the card we'll see in the 2012 iMac can play a lot of games at ultra and also at 1080p. I'm sure you'd be able to play pretty much every modern game on high at 1440p.

Check this for more: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well, all I can say is that if Apple wants to improve over the AMD 6970m in the top 27", and use a 28 nm card, their only choice is the Nvidia GTX 680M.. which is a fantastic card, giving mid-range desktop level performance. (They could also go with the comparable AMD 7970m, but I believe if they were using AMD GPUs we would have seen the new iMacs in May.)

4. Glockron macrumors member

Don't get a Mac if you plan on doing any gaming.

1) For the same price you can get a much more powerful Windows PC (componentwise)

2) Games for OSX won't run as well as their Windows counterparts, as less time is put into development.

Bottom line - if sheer power is what you need, don't get a Mac. I got mine because I love the fluidity of OSX, and the overall aluminium design - combined with the portability of my MBA. Not for the power though - for that a Windows anyday

5. antidromic macrumors newbie

antidromic

But surely the high end 27" iMac is perfectly capable even today, especially when paired with Boot Camp? That 6970M, even though it's aged, is still pretty capable - the next gen iMac is going to be the best computer suited for gaming Apple have in their line-up.

6. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Definitely when paired with Bootcamp. I think a lot of people forget that you can boot into Windows 7 on modern Intel based Macs. Seems like a ridiculous claim, however look at all the comments of "don't get a Mac because OSX versions run worse". Ah, if anyone is doing "real" gaming they will be booting into Windows. To me, it helped justify the cost of a Mac Pro. I wanted the OS X experience, but the ability to run any game I want. So, it was like 2 machines in one for me.

7. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hasn't Tim Cook been spotted at steam headquarters a few times this year and the fact Diablo 3 was recoded specifically for the Retina MacBook pro could mean they could be targeting gamers in the future? No?

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Even the top end iMac is not really an ideal gaming machine. I have the top spec 27" with the GPU 2GB. It plays the old stuff I like but I didn't get it for gaming.

Windows box with a crossfire or sli setup is going to cost you a lot less, and provide a much better platform for games....It's only recently that popular titles are being ported over. Don't laugh....I'm playing Quake:D

9. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Have you tried newer games?

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, I'm strictly a retro, part time gamer...I have Bioshock...that runs really well, but that and Quake are the only two I have. Incidentally Quake runs perfectly at max settings on my 17" MBP too. I have no new titles, and have a garbage bag FULL of windows games that I'm trying to sell...must be 100 of them, so I did used to play...Doom, The Max Payne series. Crysis etcetera. I've never really felt the urge to bootcamp and I don't have windows on any of my Macs....:D

11. Wardenski macrumors 6502

At this time, any Mac makes a poor gaming machine, even with bootcamp.

Apple have no interest in this market.

However, nVidia seems to be trying by providing basic drivers for their GTX 600 series for Mac Pros...probably trying to cash in on the woeful GPU offerings from Apple.

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You should try some real stuff on it. The 6970m w/ 2GB is actually a very good card. Doesn't hold a candle to the top 2012 m-cards, but you could run most games in near the highest settings. Diablo 3 isn't extremely demanding and could probably run at max.

Biggest thing holding that card back is the poor OpenGL hardware acceleration. Booting into Windows solves that.

13. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Does ML solve that?

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No. It's primarily a driver problem. Hopefully Apple+Nvidia have solved that for this year's cards. It's been an issue for many years, though, so I'm not hopeful.

15. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

A little off topic, for retro games I was able to get DOSbox to run on OSX using Wine. Setup is a little funky, but it'll work if you keep at it.

I used to have a 2007 iMac 20 inch 2.4GHz C2D with Windows XP, I could run anything using the Unreal engine pretty darned well (so like UT3). Source engine games like L4D didn't run very well.

My 2009 Mac Pro with Windows 7 and a 5870 runs pretty much everything on ultra settings very well. The only game that will slow it down so far is Metro 2033 on max settings, so I turn down the detail a little bit, then it runs nicely.

16. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

Since Dosbox has an OS X version why bother with wine?

17. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Will the base model likely have the 650m?
    I saw a video where it could play gta4 on max at 1080p resolution so it seems pretty good!

18. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

My current guess is 650M for low 21", 660M for high 21" and low 27", 680M for high 27".

The 650M isn't bad.. but it's not as good as the 6970m in today's top 27".

19. Hakone macrumors 6502a

It'll never been a true gaming machine, but it'll fill in the box that it should be 'adequate' enough to handle most games with tolerable performance.

20. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I can't afford the top top iMac. I wish they'd allow a memory upgrade for video ram on the standard 27inch! :(:(

21. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

I think it didn't exist at the time, or I'd definitely have used the OS X version.

22. Doggman macrumors member

Personally, I wish they made a mid tower gaming desktop and dropped the whole all-in-one crap. That's just me tho and unfortunately I don't think that'll ever happen. I'm a gamer but love OS X, wtf am I supposed to do? If apple sold OS X by itself I'd buy it and throw it on a custom gaming rig and be happy with it but Apple's too cool for that

23. Glockron macrumors member

Granted - you can easily boot into Windows for gaming. I just don't see the point in paying the "OSX Premium" if you're just going to use Windows anyway. Just save yourself some money and start out with a PC in the first place...

24. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

25. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Personally I'm more than willing to take the OpenGL performance hit to not use Windows. And just hope the performance gap closes at some point.