Imac will no longer boot from external ssd

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bizon1, Aug 14, 2013.

1. bizon1 macrumors newbie

I have been booting my 2011 27 inch imac from an external lacie ssd for about 5 months now with no problems. But now my imac will no longer boot from it. The only thing I did was shut down the imac and when I went to start up again I just keep getting the spinning wheel.

I hardly ever turn my imac off, I usually just put it to sleep. But we had a bad storm, so I figured I'd turn it off because one time the electricity went off while it was asleep and when I went to turn it on, this same thing happened. I was able to get it to boot up from the ssd again by booting from the internal hdd and then I unmounted the ssd and remounted it and then I could boot from it again.

I tried that this time and it would not work. I tried to boot my husband's macbook pro from it and it does the same thing the imac does, just keeps the spinning wheel.

It will spin for a few seconds, go away, the screen will get a little brighter, then the spinning wheel comes back, over and over.

If anyone has experienced this before or knows what to do, please help.

I did verify and repair permissions and verified disc, but it said it was ok.

Thanks

Oh, I'm running version 10.8 if you want to know.

2. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

I'd try a Safe boot first. While booting hold down the Shift key -- this boot prevents any non-essential items from starting, starting only those things that are essential.

3. bizon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I perform the safe boot while the external ssd is still chosen as the startup disc? Right now I have the internal hdd selected as startup.

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just want to make sure I do everything correctly and I don't have much experience with all of this.

Thank you

4. bizon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it does boot up in safe mode from the external ssd. So what does that mean?
    And what do I do now? Sorry for my ignorance on this.

5. bizon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, just wanted to give an update. I restarted the imac after I booted into safe mode and it started just fine from the external ssd. I still don't know what went wrong or what booting into safe mode actually did, but I'm glad it worked.

My concern now is if this will happen again. Like I said in my first post, this is the second time it has happened, although the fix was easier last time. Should I be worried? Is this a sign something is wrong with my ssd?

6. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

Safe mode bypasses anything that isn't essential; my guess is that one of the caches that handles the extra stuff (beyond Safe boot) got corrupted, which is why Safe mode worked.

As for what you do now: After booting into Safe mode, you should be able to shut down and then reboot normally with the SSD.

Since this happened right after a lightning storm, I suspect that it's the cause, so you should be O.K.... BUT you have at least 1 backup, right?

One thing to be aware of is that you should really try to keep the space used on the SSD to <80% full. This was true of hard drives too, but this advice seems to have been lost with the advent of SSDs.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Well, just wanted to give an update. I restarted the imac after I booted into safe mode and it started just fine from the external ssd. I still don't know what went wrong or what booting into safe mode actually did, but I'm glad it worked. ]]

If it keeps working ok, I wouldn't worry about it, at least as long as you're properly backed up.

Since you have an iMac and are booting externally, I would suggest that you use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable backup (of the SSD) on the _internal_ drive in the iMac.

If you do this, you will have TWO "boot sources", so you won't have to worry about "no-boots" again. If you get a problem with the SSD, you can just "switch boot" to the internal drive, be up-and-running, and then "go to work" on the SSD to get the problems worked out.

Doing all this is very VERY easy -- even I could do it. You can, too.

8. antman2x2, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Im using the LaCie SSD as a boot drive as well. I rarely ever completely turn off my computer but ive noticed a few times, during the rare occasion where I do turn off my computer, when I turn it back on it will sometimes miss the LaCie drive and I have to restart.

I guess there isnt much we can do, its a small problem.

9. bizon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know that, it makes me feel better to know this happens to others as well.