Imac will not boot from Snow Leopard disc.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 3tuxedo, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 3tuxedo macrumors newbie

hey guys, i bought a 1tb hard drive for my imac, and put it in, it fit perfectly ect. but i went to turn it on, popped in my Snow Leopard install disc, shut it down, turned it back on again holding down 'c', and i still got the folder with the blinking Finder dude, and a question mark. i am really confused. any thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba

I guess you have held the "C" or OPTION key down to boot from the DVD?
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

3. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have tried that. It didn't do anything.

4. simsaladimbamba

Do you have an external DVD drive or access to another Mac with Firewire?
    Do you still have the old HDD and an external USB or Firewire enclosure for 3.5" S-ATA HDDs you could boot from?
    What exact iMac do you have and when did you buy it? What kind of installation DVD do you use - grey Restore or white Upgrade DVD?

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Assuming your optical drive was working before you installed the SSD, I would suspect that you unintentionally bumped or unplugged a cable connecting the SuperDrive and didn't notice it before you reassembled the iMac.

-howard

6. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a macbook that i am on now, that has firewire and i have a firewire cable. could that be used?

----------

very good point, it was definitely working before.

7. simsaladimbamba

Yep.
    Start the MBP in Target Disk Mode and connect it to the iMac via Firewire.
    Insert the installation DVD into the MBP and start you iMac and hold down the OPTION key and see, if the installation DVD becomes visible.

8. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

brilliant! i will try it, see what happens, and report back. thank you.

9. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

i started the imac in target disk mode, and connected it to my macbook, it showed up as an external hard drive. i inserted the snow leopard disk in my macbook, installed it on my hard drive on the imac, and i turned on my my imac again and it is the same folder.

10. simsaladimbamba

Hmm, then it is time to troubleshoot the iMac.
    Start that iMac in TDM and use the MB the analyse the HDD via Disk Utility (Verify Disk, Repair Disk). Though you can do the same from the DVD, but starting Mac OS X is faster than booting into the DVD.

11. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try that in just one second. now here is something weird. i put my old hd back in my imac and it worked perfectly and was about 40 times quieter than when i had the new hard drive in there. so it obviously has something to do with the new hard drive.

12. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie

the only possible thing i could think of would be that the new hd is drawing too much power. but that is unlikely considering they are both seagate barracudas. one is 160gb and the new one is 1 tb.

13. 3tuxedo thread starter macrumors newbie