Imac will not find external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigvern, Oct 11, 2009.

1. bigvern macrumors member

I have recently done the upgrade to Snow Leopard and now find that my imac cannot recognise my g-tech external drive. I have messed around and got it to work once but then it will not eject. I am not sure if the upgrade is the problem or not. recently the g-tech drive seems to have constantly spinning all the time. I have tried using both firewire and USB but it is all a bit hit and miss.

Any help would be appreciated

I really thinking of going back to Leopard as I have not got much on my imac

Thanks Chris UK

2. Genesiscreative macrumors newbie

I've heard gTech drives have mount issues. It may be your drive and not SL or your Imac. Try mounting the drive on a different mac. if it mounts run disk utility.

3. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

Tried it on my sons macbook pro and it is the same !!!!!

It is going back to the shop tomorrow. Should have bought a Freecom had one of these for years on my windows laptop with no problem

4. Genesiscreative macrumors newbie

Sounds like it's the drive for sure. Read the feedback on Apples website and you will see your aren't alone. I ordered a Newer Technology FireWire drive from OWC and I'm very pleased with it.

5. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Struggling to find a stockist in the UK. Have you heard any feedback on wd (western digital) or iomega. Both of these are available at my local Tesco (supermarket)

Chris