iMac Will Not Go To Sleep By Itself Weird Console Messages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flipster, Apr 29, 2010.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

I installed steam before and then I uninstalled it. Since that happened, my imac's screen would turn off after a couple of mintues like it usually did but I don't think the hard drive would shut off. If I moved the mouse the screen would come on and it wouldn't have to load. These messages in Console are constantly coming up. Can someone help me? <script src='http://img12.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=screenshot20100429at626.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>[​IMG]</noscript>

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to take a guess that the sender is launchd?

3. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

And by that you mean what? I don't the the program is running because it's not in my dock and I deleted it so I don't get why it's doing that.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to need to make your console bigger and take another screen shot.

I'm completely wild guess is that there's something launchd is trying to spawn in the now deleted Steam.app.

5. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but it says all of the same things over and over. <script src='http://img202.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=screenshot20100429at706.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>[​IMG]</noscript>

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

An increasing in the horizontal size was the idea I wanted to convey. I can't read the entire Sender [PID] column.

7. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be anoyying but I don't know what you want me to do. I think like 98% of those console messages are the same thing.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Move your cursor over the vertical line just before Message until it changes shape, then drag to the right until the complete "Sender [PID]" column is visible.

But anyway, check in your account's Login Items (System Preferences->Accounts) or your StartupItems (Macintosh HD -> Library -> StartupItems) for something Valve related and let us know.

9. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I checked in my start up items and I checked my login items and nothing Valve related came up. I did the thing you told me to and it said: 4/29/10 7:26:03 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[82] (com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[7956]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/ipcserver", ...): No such file or directory.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You could try Lingon - http://sourceforge.net/projects/lingon/files/

I used it for a while a few years ago with Leopard, and it gives a nice overview of your launchd configuration. I don't know if it works with Snow Leopard though.

Edit: Just installed it and it seems to work. You can disable any launchd daemon using it. But of course, be careful. Don't touch any system agents/daemons.

11. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll download it but before I do anything, what should I do because I don't want to mess anything up. I apperciated your help I wouldn't have been able to figure that out if it wasn't for you guys.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Take a look at the various sections to find something with maybe valve in the name. You can edit and disable the launchd configuration for that item, then maybe try rebooting to see if the daemon has stopped.

As long as you don't edit the system agent/daemon sections, you wouldn't break anything.

The UI looks like this.

Attached Files:

13. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

You were right. I downloaded Lingon and deleted it and everything went back to normal. Thank you so much you guys.