imac will not install xp home sp2 oem.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by superfrog01, Sep 10, 2009.

1. superfrog01 macrumors newbie

I have a 09 imac 24. I have xp home oem disk that will not complete install. install is fine until it gets to rpcrt4.dll and shell32.dll. It will not copy either of these files. I put the same disk in my macbook and installed perfectly. I used Ntfs and fat32. No good. tried vmware fusion, and same response. apple says call windows, windows says to call mac. Help!!!!!! I have tried everything and installed in bootcamp but no. Help

2. rmsowell macrumors newbie

OEM CD not loading

I am having the same issues with an Windows XH Home OEM CD purchased on E-bay. It looked like the green mini-booket version with a Microsoft COA, never been used. It did not have any corporation logo (i.e. HP, DELL), only Microsoft.

The installed would indicate that SHELL32.DL_ and RPCRT4.DL_ would not load. It must be something with the OEM CDs since I retried with a Retail copy I had and it installed perfectly.

I need to get this OEM copy working.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

superfrog01 never came back, so who knows if they ever solved it. The fact that it didn't load into a VM is very odd as well since that means it's not a Mac specific problem (you can't get much more "generic" hardware than a VM).

If you can get it to install in a VM, don't activate yet, you may be able to use that to get the files in the BC partition using the same approach as outlined in the "without super drive" thread.

EDIT: I'll spare you my OEM is not licensed for end users speech since you already bought it.

B

4. oidjio macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem as this post:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2271517

"I partitioned my macbook and attempted to install Windows XP

It went well up until the 57% complete mark when the windows couldn't copy rpcrt4.dll and shell32.dll. When asked if I wanted Windows to retry to copy I hit yes and the same error occurred. When I tried to startup in WIndows got a blue-screen asking me to reinstall rpcrt4.dll"

I tried to do what the person found successful in that thread. I copied those two files and put them into the windos folder since I formatted using the FAT. I'm not sure what to do, windows still doesn't install properly. Please help!