iMac will not stay in sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dlewis23, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a new 2013 iMac a couple days ago and I'm having a problem where it will not stay in sleep mode. I get up from it put it to sleep, it will stay a sleep for 5 - 10 minutes and wake it self up.

I have "Wake for network access" and "Enable power nap" off in energy saver. I've tried closing ever program before sleeping, turning my mouse and bluetooth speakers off no difference it will still wake up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. GGJstudios, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Keep your mouse switched on.

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Unplug everything from your Mac apart from the bare essentials such as wired keyboard and mouse, if you have them. Unplug everything if you have wireless keyboard and mouse. Now try putting the Mac to sleep and see if it stays asleep.

If it does then plug things back in one at a time until you can replicate your problem.

I has the same problem and the error console suggested it was a bluetooth device waking my iMac (Wake reason: XHC1). But this was a red herring - in fact the problem was a USB card reader that I had attached via a USB hub. Once I disconnected the card reader, the iMac stopped waking up!

5. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you found your answer!