iMac Wireless Edition from Macmall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joshua_msu, May 18, 2008.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I had a question about the wireless edition iMAc's that MacMall sells. Do they open the OEM box and just replace the original jeyboard and mouse with the wireless versions, or does Apple supply them with an OEM box that includes the wireless keyboard and mouse? Also, are they a reliable place to buy from? I ask, becuase I love Amazon, but they do not provide this option. Thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't know about how they get the wireless version but I have ordered from MacMall and have had no issues with them. Hope this helps.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'm not completely sure, but I would assume they just open it up and stick the Wireless KB and Mouse in there.

Call them and ask just to be sure.

4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

They probably order them as CTO with the wireless keyboard and mouse. it's an option to order them in that way, in OEM packaging.

You don't get the wired ones as well...you only get the wireless keyboard and mouse. If they opened up the box and stuck the others in there, you'd be getting both, which isn't how it works.

5. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I hope so. I dont want them mucking around that box.

6. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

I've never personally ordered from them, but your question triggered something in my memory. A quick google search of "macmall" turned up several "consumer issues" with macmall. I remembered where I had seen some problems with macmall listed - macintouch.com. A quick look back to that commentary and a second search using "macmall consumer issues" was also enough to make me think twice before ordering from them (especially, it seems, if relying on rebates in your cost factoring).

Up to you I suppose, but is the price that good?

7. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Anyone else care to chime in? I called customer service twice, and they both did not seem have a clue, but did say that it came in one box. I just want to make sure that these are CTO from Apple, and not Macmall opening a 24 inch iMac OEM box, and swapping out the peripherals, then resealing. Certainly someone here has purchased one of these before. Thanks.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I really doubt they'd give you an open box. Try getting their sales reps to get more information on the subject, too.

9. Crossbone macrumors regular

NO! Dont buy from them, they sold a a refurb broken keyboard. when it was supposed to be new, thats why the price is so good.

10. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

some random negative experiences from one of the ratings sites I mentioned:

Here's Macintouch.com 's really helpful ongoing (for quite a while!) series on MacMall.

And one, two, three more sites to hopefully give you a bigger sample of experiences from which to draw and ultimately make your (extremely informed at this point:D) decision.

If they are the best option for you after all and you do go with them:confused::eek:, here is some possibly useful info that some have had difficulty getting from customer service reps at macmall according to macintouch and the other sites mentioned:

Contact Information
    General
    Company name: MacMall
    Street address: 2555 W. 190th Street
    Torrance, CA 90504
    Web site: http://www.macmall.com

Order, phone, fax, and e-mail
    Phone: 800-328-2790
    Email: sales@macmall.com
    Hours: 24/7/365

Customer-service phone, fax, and e-mail
    Phone: 800-328-2790
    Email: customerservice@macmall.com
    Hours: 24/7/365

Good luck in any case.... Doing this brought back flashes of pre- and after- action intel briefings. I edited out a bunch that, while probably appropriate for those reports, would've served only to overload readers ands prove that My PTSD therapy is not as successful as hoped... :eek:

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You'll be fine. I ordered from MacMall last December and everything - including the rebate checks - went as promised. Don't expect much of anything in the way of customer service, though.

12. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

It's cheaper for them to order it with the peripherals already in there, so I'm guessing they order them as CTO from their distributor with the wireless peripherals in place. It's a commonly stocked CTO in the distribution chain.