iMAC wirless Dongle or fob???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by radio arcade, Apr 29, 2009.

1. radio arcade macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

My mate has one of the flat screen imacs, not sure of the exact model but i know its tiger 10.4

it doesnt have built in wireless so i was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of an adapter/card....i would prefer one i could plug into usb or something rather than open it up...

I would appreciate if someone could hit back with a link to one that would work on an imac, he already has a wirless router so its just something to make the machine pick it up..

Thanks

J

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I thought all fairly recent iMacs had wireless ... :confused:

3. radio arcade thread starter macrumors newbie

my mate is too bad with computers and says it hasnt? maybe i should go down & check for myself! :cool:

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I know the G5's didn't necessarily have AirPort built in. Easiest way to verify os to look at System Preferences>Network. If you don't see AirPort in the list, than it doesn't have it.

For the iMacs, the AirPort Extreme card is user-installable, but is only available on the secondary market (not from Apple) and runs about $30-$50 (try Amazon, I know they have some). I don't know if any external wireless adapters work.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Wifi wasn't standard only on the first gen iMac G5 released in late 2004.

Well, unless "flat screen" means an LCD it could also be an iMac G4, but IIRC none of the G4s had wi-fi built-in.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if that's the case and its not built in than a USB adapter would be the easier way to go...

7. radio arcade thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks all for the feedback, you couldnt post a link to one you have heard is good that would work on the mac??

Cheers

8. kopesetic macrumors newbie

I have successfully used a Dlink DWL-122 Wireless USB adapter with 10.4. You will need to download some drivers for this to work.

Sometimes it has problems attaching to the network coming out of slepp but is okay otherwise.

Kevin