iMac with 530 watt speakers ?

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Hello mac heads..do you know what cable i need so i can connect this to my imac,i put the specs & pic below,thanxs for your help.

Attachments

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wow. Your signature is not really filled with details.

You could give us more details on the receiving end, as the speakers are probably connected to an amplifier of some sorts.

It most likely has RCA stereo inputs, and the iMac has an 3.5mm analog stereo out. There are cables for that, they use TRS connectors, also called audio jack.

Also the iMac has an optical audio out (shared with the 3.5mm audio out jack), so if you have a digital in, you might use that.

If the speakers are active, they might have their own inputs, which are independent of an amplifier and the copper cable, so depending on the inputs those speakers provide, you could get a 3.5mm to 6.3mm TRS cable

EDIT: Your image doesn't state any input ports, but most consumer devices use the RCA plugs.
You need this:

http://www.google.com/products?rls=...m=1&resnum=2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if&tbo=0

fily

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Wow, I really did not know about the optical sound. Something new everyday. Just looked into it. I'm hoping my 5.1 computer speakers have optical. I've been using them as 2.1's recently since I didn't feel there was a point to have all 5 speakers connected.

Thanks spinner.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Wow. Your signature is not really filled with details.

You could give us more details on the receiving end, as the speakers are probably connected to an amplifier of some sorts.

It most likely has RCA stereo inputs, and the iMac has an 3.5mm analog stereo out. There are cables for that, they use TRS connectors, also called audio jack.

Also the iMac has an optical audio out (shared with the 3.5mm audio out jack), so if you have a digital in, you might use that.

If the speakers are active, they might have their own inputs, which are independent of an amplifier and the copper cable, so depending on the inputs those speakers provide, you could get a 3.5mm to 6.3mm TRS cable

EDIT: Your image doesn't state any input ports, but most consumer devices use the RCA plugs.
You need this:

http://www.google.com/products?rls=...m=1&resnum=2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if&tbo=0
here are more details..it is not connected to a amp,the sound system has a 3.5 input,on the specs it says i can connect it to a computer,someone told me about a "Toslink" cable so i can connect them...is this right ??

Wow, I really did not know about the optical sound. Something new everyday. Just looked into it. I'm hoping my 5.1 computer speakers have optical. I've been using them as 2.1's recently since I didn't feel there was a point to have all 5 speakers connected.

Thanks spinner.
im a customation and audio freak,hopefully it will work also?

here is more info on the imac's end:

Attachments

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Looking at the specs of that system, it has a 3.5mm input.

So the matter is exceedingly simple: get a headphone (3.5mm) cable and plug one end into the iMac and the other into the amplifier. Boom.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
heres more info on the sound system end: the number 15 on the chart (front view of receiver) shows where the 3.5 input connection is at.

Attachments

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
If you gave us the link to where you are getting these (I presume that you didn't draw them) we could likely make any further conclusions much quicker. But I still think that a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) cable will do the trick.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
ok this is weird...how did this post end up on mac peripherals,i posted this in the picture thread ?...anybody know what happened? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.