iMac with 5k retina display(first Mac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tasdisr, Jun 21, 2015.

1. tasdisr macrumors member

My wife and I currently have Windows based laptops which are probably 4-5 years old and need to be replaced.

We are thinking of purchasing and iMac with Retina 5k display for our anniversary present to ourselves.. It would be the base model that Apple shows for $1999.
    I figure that I can add RAM later if needed, and we both like the larger screen as we are getting older. One reason we are thinking of getting an iMac is we are
    both getting more involved with photography, nothing fancy but want to learn to do more editing of our pictures.

My question would be is it hard transitioning to an Apple computer after using Windows based systems for so long?

We both have iPads and my wife loves how intuitive the OS is compared to Windows.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

If you've been using computers for a long time then I don't think you've have much trouble transitioning to Mac OS. There are things that are done differently, but at the end of the day it's still a desktop operating system which anyone can learn.

I don't know how difficult is to change the RAM on the 5k iMac but you should definitely look into that before you buy.

3. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Looks like it is pretty easy to add RAM. There is a small panel right above the power plug connection which pops off to add or change RAM.

4. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

The transition isn't difficult and adding RAM is easy. Make the switch. You'll wish you had done it sooner.

5. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I think we may end up spending a little more and get the 3TB hard drive version.

6. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

7. jerwin, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

jerwin macrumors 65816

It depends on which 3TB drive you get.

The 3TB hard drive is obsolete--everything else in the computer is far faster, so it's a bottleneck. The 3TB fusion drive is capacious and fast.

If you can't budget for a 3TB fusion drive, try getting the i5@2.5Ghz/m290x configuration with a 1 TB fusion drive--it goes on sale often enough--, and expanding with external drives when you feel the need for more space.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't even think of it.

The 3TB Seagate drives have a notoriously high failure rate. Just do a quick Google search about it.

By all means, get the base 5K iMac if you wish but at least spec it up with a 1TB Fusion Drive. It's much faster than the stock 1TB HDD.

9. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Does Seagate also make the fusion drive?

10. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

For iMac with Retina 5K display, the options are all either Fusion Drive or SSD. Unless it's aftermarket, which I doubt is the case, you can't get a Retina iMac with only a hard drive.

11. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If you are willing to spend around $200 more, Best Buy has a good deal right now for the fusion drive model for almost $200 off:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-2...hite/9034004.p?id=1219385144900&skuId=9034004

I have used Windows all my life as well, but decided to sell my Windows laptop and buy an entry-level Mac Mini for $349 at Best Buy (as it suits my needs and it was a deal I had never seen before). I can't tell you how great it's been so far, and this is with a machine that only has 4GB of RAM and an HDD. It took almost no time to get used to, as having used iOS for a long time certainly helped. What I like the most so far is the integration. You will love it!

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I believe Apple recently lowered the price of the "base" iMac 5K and introduced a new base model with an HDD.

13. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link. Adorama has the same model for a little more, 2199.99, but they also include AppleCare and some Corel software. Also free shipping and no sales tax.

14. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Even better! You'll love how well-designed OS X is.

15. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

Aha! I "lied."

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

For the 3TB one, yes.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes you can. The base 5K iMac does not come with a Fusion Drive. Only the high end one does.

18. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

Already been corrected, but thanks.

19. NZiMac macrumors newbie

I am in the same position as you being an older person, always used Windows until the iPad and iPhone. So now I have ordered the 2014 Retina iMac, and am waiting for it to arrive. I like to have books to refer to, and have bought a couple to help with the transition. Decided to go with the i7, M290X and the 3TB Fusion Drive. Mostly because I am happy for the OS to shift my files round rather than have to do it myself on an SSD. So I say go for it. By the way I am in New Zealand and the iMac has come from China late last week. Our country has been hit by floods which might delay delivery, supposed to be tomorrow.

20. garyrh66 macrumors newbie

garyrh66

I been using Windows since 1995 and have moved to Mac. There is a little learning curve but it won't take long. I am happy I made the move. There is a website that will help you learn the Mac. http://www.pcclassesonline.com I bought the 5K Retina 2014 model and added 16GB of memory. Memory is easy to install. Good Luck

21. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Being Seagate will the reliability be questionable?

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Hard drives are hard drives, it'll depend on peoples personal experience as to what they prefer, I have met many who swear by seagate and others who think they are the devil incarnate.

I would say do make sure you have a fusion drive (size unimportant) the 128GB ssd in them makes all the difference for smaath snappy computer use and making it feel like a modern fast machine.

Another option is a 256GB sdd and a big external hard drive for all your files...

23. tasdisr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I am leaning toward upgrading to the 1TB Fusion drive. I think that is plenty of space right now for my wife and I. We each have 500GB HD's on our current systems and only use about 160GB on each system. We can always add an external drive if needed.

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That sounds eminently sensible go for it.

25. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In that case, you'll be better off with a 256GB SSD. You get pure speed and reliability.

And yes, the 3TB Fusion Drives have questionable reliability. For the late-2012 iMacs with 3TB Fusion Drives, they were recently recalled due to the hard drive failures. This is not the first time Apple has recalled Macs due to hard drive issues (and in every case, it involved large Seagate drives).