iMac with cannonlake cpu

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Serban, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Serban Suspended

What you all expect Apple to bring in the next upgrade?
    I suppose cannonlake to be available for the next year
    i was hoping to finally bring thunderbolt 3 and usb-c and nvidia as dgpu back

what else? they can bring better ram, or lower the price and add 64 Gb Ram

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

You are wrong about Cannonlake:

http://hothardware.com/news/leaked-...ighlights-broadwell-e-apollo-lake-kaby-lake-s

There will be Kaby Lake in Q4 2016, still on 14nm.

Cannonlake in 10nm has been pushed out to 2017.

Kaby Lake will bring more PCIe 3x lanes, USB 3.1.

So... knowing Apple's upgrade cycle, we might see a Skylake bump for the 21.5" models with a better GPU mid 2016 (but don't count on it) and Kaby Lake for 27" 5K models with USB 3.1, TB 3... all in Q4 2016.

The 21.5" models are using Broadwell, due to Intel's slow Sky Lake release schedule. Embedded GPU is not good enough to drive 4K displays.

Actually I don't care much about the CPUs, Apple should stop using old and over and over rebranded GPUs.. and more importantly give us at least 512 GB SSDs by default.

3. Serban thread starter Suspended

yes SSD by default+16 gb Ram by default like in 15" macbook pro should be from now on at least for the 27"
    i really hope for 990M and Thunderbolt 3 and usb-c

4. Nirurin macrumors member

This is Apple we are talking about here. You'll be likely to get skylake in next years Q4 refresh. And base levels of Ram and SSD will stay as they are, as the necessary (and overpriced) upgrades are a big chunk of their profit margin.

Best you can hope for is a half decent GPU upgrade, but I suspect it will be another AMD offering.