iMac with dead logic board- value?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gravyboat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. gravyboat macrumors member

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Got an iMac G5 iSight with a dead logic board according to the techs at the Apple store. No Applecare so the $925 replacement cost seems prohibitive.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to sale value. I'd prefer to avoid eBay if possible. If the value is low (say, sub-$200), any thoughts on finding another iMac with perhaps a dead screen and swapping out boards? Or does that sound like unlikely?

The iMac (20") is in pristine condition- perfect screen, no blemishes or scratches. I added 512 mb Samsung ram so there's 1 gb total. Nothing else was added or changed.

Thank you very much for any help.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Unfortunately once the logic board goes is usually more cost effective to buy another computer, either second hand or from the refurb store .. :(

3. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Hi Father Jack,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I think you're right. What a waste of a beautiful machine.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Sometimes a broken screen systems can be found out there. eBay has a 1.8 starting at $100. Also, you can probably sell yours in the $200 range. Somebody out there will try to fix it.

Best of luck,

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Before you sell it (or chuck it), doublecheck to see if you used a credit card that offered an extended warranty. As long as your within the credit card's X-warranty period (usually an additional year from the end of the original warranty).

Otherwise, you might have more luck selling the individual parts.

Also, you might be able to find a local Apple tech/shop to fix it for less than $925. I just checked the net and found this PLACE that does it for $450. NOTE - I have no connection with this place and cannot vouch for them. They were the 2nd link turned up from Google.

ft

ft

6. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Hi panzer06 and ftaok,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd much rather try to fix this one than shell out money I don't have for a new one so I appreciate these comments.

I'll check around on eBay and see if anything looks promising. Maybe I'll get lucky.

As for that repair place, I called them up and was underwhelmed. They said sometimes they use new boards, sometimes refurbished, sometimes they repair your old board, etc. It seems like a real crapshoot. But it's tempting. I'd just be so bummed if it went kaput after the warranty expired-- $450 would go a long way towards a new iMac.

Thanks again.