iMac with FCS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dentifrice, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm planning to buy an iMac to do some amateur video editing and DVD authoring. I use final cut studio suite and iDVD/iMovie. I'm not planning doing HD stuff.

My budget is limited and I have to choices.

The entry level iMac ......with an radeon 2400, a 1066 FSB and 6MB CPU cache.

And a refurbished iMac with a radeon 2600 (but a FSB of 800 and less CPU cache)

So, for video editing purpose, would you chose a system with a better video card but slower FSB or faster FSB and slower video card ???

Can Motion run on a 2400 ?

Color need a 2600 I think ? And need 24 inches iMac ? I'm not planning to use it for the moment but...

thanks !

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i doubt there will be a tangible difference between the two... i'd go with the newer one though. but if price is an issue, the refurb will do just fine.

3. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

but I see in PDF documentation of FCP that Color and Motion recommended 256MB video card (radeon 2600)

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Motion and Colour require very good graphic cards. You're best going for what you're able to afford.

If your hardware cant support the software and you dont intend to use them anyway, dont install them.

I have FCS2 and I've only used Motion and Colour a few times. They're such big applications you can get lost in what you want to do. Seeing as you're amateur then I can probably see you using Final Cut and maybe soundtrack more than anything else.

The only issue here is if you have used Motion or Colour before :eek:

5. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

exactly, as an amateur, I'm not sure I will use Color. I think I can do basic "color changes" with Final Cut ?

So I will probably use FC, soundtrack and DVD studio pro. Maybe a little bit of Motion if it gives me the possibility to create beautiful animated dvd menus...