iMac with half yellow screen (second unit)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alehen, Jan 11, 2014.

1. alehen macrumors member

My 27" iMac's screen has a transition of cool/warm colors from top to bottom, it is very distracting, and I don't know what to do, this is the second replacement with the same problem. I also visited an Apple Store and all units were like this, I just don't understand how is that possible.

I had the same problem with my iPad Air, and now the iMac. Is this so common that has become "normal" and people just have to accept it or return it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Xer macrumors newbie

Xer

From my experience, it really depends on the LCD panel that's in your system, some brands are better than others.
    I know LG used to have some defects while SAMSUNG doesn't.
    Although even the technicians can't really know which brand of the LCD panel is in your system, or far worse, which brand they are going to replace it with (I used to work for an Apple Certified Reseller as a technician).
    Just go to the store and ask for the display to be replaced.
    They have a quality program if I'm not mistaken, even if you Mac is not under warranty.

4. tgrays macrumors member

I thought all current iMacs (and the 2012) use only LG? I remember seeing that mentioned somewhere in this forum.

5. IA64 macrumors 6502

I thought all iMacs since 2009 used LG panel.

6. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Return and try again, I tried visiting the genius and replace the panel but they refused since they didn't see it themselves. So I just returned it ordered another. New unit is on it's way. Hopefully I get lucky this time and hope you get lucky too.

7. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

I have this issue myself, but I returned mine awhile ago. I'm still debating on whether or not to get another one.

The problem I'm seeing is that everyone who has noticed this as an issue has never gotten a yellow gradient free screen from exchanges, be it twice or four times, not one single person. So if the fact is that all the iMac screens are like this to varying degrees and that some people will notice and others won't (or won't care), I think it'll be pointless to try to waste time exchanging and get the same thing in return.

Maybe it's time to move onto something else, like a MBP or Mac Pro. It's really a shame, because I really like the iMac and feel like it's the best for my needs out of every Apple computer.

8. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

All I can say its a shame.

I think in some ways the company has been rushing without proper testing since Snow Leopard days. What a fine tuned, stable and refine OS that was. Along with hardware at the time...

I think the company is moving too fast.

Bad LCD in iPad minis, bad gyro in new iPhone, beachballs in Mav, .....

9. Zeos macrumors 6502

We just received out 27" iMac from MacMall. No yellow tinting or transition on the screen. Maybe we received the Samsung screen?

10. IA64 macrumors 6502

There is no Samsung screen for 2013 iMac. I checked couple of iMac at a shop and they all have this very light yellow tint in the lower 1/3 of the screen. My friends couldn't notice it but I know how to find it :)

11. tgrays macrumors member

That makes me rather nervous, especially since I have an iMac on the way. I suspect I'm one of those who would notice, if my general experience at the Apple Store is anything to go by. I've seen those yellow bottoms at a glance a few times, and sometimes little patches of cloudy spots (sorry, that's the best I know how to describe the thing).

I've heard much less complaints about the 2013 models, so I was hoping that the matter has been reduced somewhat (not solved, but at least lessened). It would really suck if the issues are actually the norm.

12. IA64 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen any 2013 with those cloudy smudges but the yellow issue is certainly there.

13. tgrays macrumors member

I shall take every small favors I can get then! And the way you knew exactly what I mean by the cloudy stuff - was this a common problem too? I have to say, between those smudges and the yellow screen, I probably prefer the yellow screen. Those smudges I saw were really distracting and made me want to just scrub them off. It was what ultimately made me decide against buying the 2012.

14. IA64 macrumors 6502

Actually I know about the smudge thing because I've been there. I replaced my late 2009 screen 4 times. First one was a year after usage. 2nd 3rd and 4th were all couple of months after every replacement.

It's still too early to judge the 2013 but I have heard some people reporting this issue but the users affected are much lower than previous generation.

2012 and 2013 as far as I know have identical design and screen so you can take the 2012 as reference point.

15. DianeK macrumors regular

Well I managed to score all 3 issues with my late 2013 iMac: slight yellowing lower half, blotchy-smudgy spots and backlight bleed! I have been offered a screen replacement but am really wondering if it's worth it. Why have my iMac torn open just to get a screen with 1, 2 or all 3 problems again. I truly miss my snow leopard 2011 but it died on me. Sigh. Apple is really slipping as a company but I just can't stomach returning to a windows-based system so they've got me.

16. alehen thread starter macrumors member

I decided to keep it. I could ask for a replacement, but after reading earlier posts I went to another store and all iMacs had yellow bottoms. I'm confident to wait another week or so for a new BTO just to get a worst one.

My iMac has no smudges, no bleeding, no dead/stuck pixels, no fan noise.. If all models have the yellow bottom, I better keep it because there is no way I'll find a better one.

17. DianeK macrumors regular

I am of the same mind. My yellowing is subtle and from what I've read here could be much worse. My brain has learned to ignore it and the blotchiness. I don't watch much video on my iMac so although the backlight bleed is there it doesn't really impact me. Getting worse yellowing with a replacement screen would have more of an negative impact. It's just unfortunate Apple has decided to continue with LG as their screen supplier.

18. alehen, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

alehen thread starter macrumors member

My iPad is 1/3 yellow too, lol, I guess if we want to stick with Apple we need to learn to accept half yellow screens, because I swear I tried a few Ipads before sticking with this one.

The only time I get very very annoyed is when using full screen mode on Safari while reading this thread or anything that have shades of gray. It gets very evident and I want to die! :(

You know what is weird though? If I get my head upside down and tilt the screen as if I was actually using it that way, my top gets yellow and my bottom seems normal..

19. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Good move. I asked for a replacement of my original late 2013 iMac BTO and it has the same problem. All the iMacs at two different Apple Stores do as well. I think this is a problem with the current generation so swapping them out over and over is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Just like you, my iMac has no fan noise, no stuck/broken pixels, etc. So I wasn't about to chance it and get a worse one.

20. tgrays macrumors member

Oh yikes... that sounds like a nightmare. Apple Care lets you replace the iMacs when it comes to those smudges? That's perhaps one good news, in case I end up with a bad case of smudges later on...

---

Any of you designers (or perhaps photographers too) out there who work with these yellow bottoms? How badly, if at all, does this affect your work flow and coloring?

21. IA64 macrumors 6502

Well, the issue is that AppleCare is not available in every country. They refused to sell me one saying that it won't be covered past 1 year.

22. forceroyale macrumors newbie

See my thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1651929

I went through 4 iMacs and couldn't get one without the problem, I'm a designer and I couldn't stand it, now using a 13" rMBP which also has the problem but I'm using a non-apple display with it. Not happy, but I'll make do.