iMac with hard drive vs Mac Mini i7 with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by max41, Feb 23, 2015.

1. max41 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini 2012 i7 with 16GB ram and 240GB SSD plus 1TB hard drive with a thunderbolt display as my desktop currently. It works fine but it does get very hot and I have had to dedicate a fan in the room just to cool down the mini. It doesn't help that the thunderbolt screen has it's only heat vent on the left side right above the only place you can put the mini (the right side would block the usb ports on the screen). Also the the integrated hd4000 is not that great.

I have been offered an iMac 27" Late 2013 model for a reasonable price and consider replacing my current setup with that. It's an i5 and gtx775 but with the standard 1TB 7200rpm hd. My question and worry is that I would feel a decrease in perceived performance because of the old traditional hard drive despite it being much more powerful in all other areas.

PS. where I live I can't easily just get one with a fusion drive or ssd refurbished or used and getting a brand new one with those specs is not currently within my budget.

Any inputs and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Max

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

The mini with SSD should definitely feel faster. What do you need to do with the Mac which is constrained by only having the HD4000?

3. dyt1983, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.