Imac with mac mini screen sharing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blackrose83, Aug 16, 2012.

1. blackrose83 macrumors newbie

Hey all

I´m interested in getting the new Imac whenever it gets released. As of now I have a mac mini (using it as a htpc) and when I get the Imac I want to be able to share the screen from the mac mini to the imac in case I want to upgrade/download software etc.

The hdmi port from the mini will be connected to the amplifier->tv so I will use the mini display port from the mini to connect to the imac.

What I want to know is how I can share keyboard, mouse and screen in an easy way. I want the primary screen for the mac mini to be towards the TV but when I switch screen on the Imac I also want the mac mini to switch to the Imac screen, and in the same time also switch wireless keyboard and mouse towards the mac mini instead of the imac.

Is this possible? Or at least something similiar?

EDIT: Maybe this should´ve been posted in the mac os section, if so Im sorry for this and please feel free to move the thread

2. blackrose83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent had the chance to test this from one mac os to another but trying screen sharing from IPad to mini using vnc is just horrible. Its laggy and stutter alot. Same from my windows machine. That´s why I want to actually use the display output instead.

But maybe people have a different experience using this from mac os to mac os?

3. simsaladimbamba

If both Macs are connected via Gigabit Ethernet (Cat5e or Cat6 cable), then screen sharing is quite fluid, at least in my experience.
    Your experience with the iPad is probably due to slow WiFi or not so good app.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I use screen sharing across wi-fi to control my Mac Mini from my iMac and that works just fine for me. They are in the same room, but the hub's a distance away. It's more than good enough for tasks like upgrading software or monitoring print queues.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A fast connection does make a difference in screen sharing. And if you're using Screen Sharing that takes care of the mouse and keyboard connections; nothing else needed.

If you have the mini's screen showing on your TV, then you can use Teleport, a Preference Pane by Abyssoft, to control the mini with the iMac's mouse/trackpad and keyboard. And even share a clipboard. As soon as your cursor hits the edge of the iMac it can "jump" to the other Mac and then you are controlling the other machine. As long as the two machines are connected by a network it works great; no need to get another keyboard or mouse or to re-pair them with another machine.

Rob