iMac with Multiple monitors

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jojoman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jojoman macrumors newbie

I have an iMac and another regular LCD monitor, and I want to hook up my LCD monitor to my iMac. What's the best way to do this?

If possible, I want the 2nd monitor to be more than just an extended desktop space. I'd prefer it more like another desktop in Spaces. (as in, the second montor has its own dock and all...)

Thank you.

2. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I think the Intel iMac can do this. In Spaces, each square will be for the combination of the two monitors.

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

No can do. It's either mirrored or an extension of your desktop.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You need to see what connections your LCD monitor has. Then you'll need either a mini-DVI to DVI or mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

You have two choices as to the set up. Mirroring or Extending. Mirroring means both screens show exactly the same, extending means that they combine to form one large desktop space.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

6. jojoman thread starter macrumors newbie

oh I should be more specific:

1. My LCD monitor is from my old PC. What additional hardware connection do I need to hook it up with my mac?

2. Is there an external software or something out there, so I can use my 2nd monitor more than just an extension of my desktop?

Mirroring isn't useful to me. Extension is. But the most ideal situation is to have another dock on my LCD monitor. It should be possible, theoretically.

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

After rereading your post, I realized that you want another dock. I don't think this is possible. There can only be one Dock, and one menu bar. You can drag the menu bar to the monitor you want to be the primary one.

EDIT:

What you are looking for is pretty much the functionalities of two computers, but using only one computer and two monitors. I can see where you going, but sadly, it cannot be done.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. Read my earlier post.
    2. No, it's not possible.

9. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Someone already told you what hardware you need, but I don't think there is any software that will accomplish your goals. It would be really useful though.

10. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

for some reason having a second monitor on an all in one mac just wouldn't feel right, for me at least