Imac with ps3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by igoodso, Mar 23, 2011.

1. igoodso macrumors member

I want to connect my ps3 to my
    iMac does anyone know if
    You can

2. Andythed, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Andythed macrumors member

You will need to purchase one of these converters; Belkin AV360, Kanex HD, or Atlona HD620.

The imac accepts 720p and 1440p input.

Only the Atlona option will provide a 1080p image on the imac screen, this is done by upscaling a 1080p image up to 1440p (an input the Imac accepts).

The Belkin and Kanex will provide a 720p image on the imac screen.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Just for clarification, do you mean "connect" as in use the monitor on the iMac as you would a television or are you talking about connecting them over a network so the PS3 can stream content from the iMac?

If you mean to use the iMac as a monitor then Andythed provided you with some options. If you mean connecting for streaming then check out programs like PS3 Media Server or Nullriver PS3 MediaLink.

4. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

the 27'' imac have video input and the 21.5'' doesn't have video input.
    i am right ?

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I use an adaptor/converter from Dr Bott with my Xbox 360 and yes, it works very well -- even the sound from the Xbox is played back by the iMac. The Xbox 360 is connected via a single HDMI cable to the Dr Bott box who converts the HDMI signal to Display Port (and again, this even includes the audio signal).

I didn't find a link on Amazon.com, but here is the product on Amazon.de:

Dr Bott Digital Video Link for 27" iMac

This product also exists in a version for Apple's 24" Cinema Display.

The only disadvantage of Dr Bott's solution is that it only handles 720p resolutions; if you want 1080p, you need to buy something else. However, 720p scales very well to the 27" iMac's native resolution and it really looks great.

If you want to connect your console to a 21" iMac, you're out of luck. As far as I know, only the 27" model supports Display Target Mode.

6. Andythed macrumors member

If you want to connect your console to a 21" iMac, you're out of luck. As far as I know, only the 27" model supports Display Target Mode.Thats what I understand.

You can only connect a PS3 to the 27" according to all the adapters info

7. Andythed macrumors member

Thats what I understand.

You can only connect a PS3 to the 27" according to all the adapters info

8. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

9. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

will these work with the new 2011 imac?

10. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

For now, it is true that only the 2010 27" iMac will work for this because it is the only iMac capable of using Target Display mode from Mini-DP sources. The 2011 thunderbolt-equipped iMacs and the generation of iMac prior to the mid-2010s cannot do this for their own reasons. The older generation simply doesn't support target display mode.

The 2011 iMacs are all capable of using Target Display mode, including the 21.5" iMacs (from what I understand from testing and specs), however they will not accept a video signal via Mini-DP, and thus they render the converters you listed above useless. However, they are compatible with other thunderbolt-equipped devices (2011 Macs are the only ones on the market right now, however Kanex has said that it is working on a new converter).

Also, it would help if we knew which iMac the OP owns or is looking to buy to offer the best advice :) there are other alternatives other than Target Display Mode to input another video signal to your iMac.