iMac with SSD and HDD, user data?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by supersid, May 26, 2011.

1. supersid macrumors newbie

My iMac 2011 with SSD and HDD arrived today. I expected the applications folder to be on the SSD and the user data on the HDD. Unfortunately everything is on the SSD and the HDD is empty.

What would be the best way to set up my system so that my data ends up on the HDD automatically?

2. aussiedj macrumors regular

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

In System Preferences, Accounts, control-click (or right-click) on your account in the list on the left and select "Advanced Options". From there you can change the location of your home directory.

I wouldn't do this without having a second account set up first in case of problems. You will also have to manually move everything to the new account if you have already been using your computer.

4. ZeD X macrumors regular

I prefer keeping my user folder on the SSD, so the config files will be read faster. This is the proposal of the SSD.

What I did, and Recommend, is the following:

1) Move the folders you want to the HDD (Music, Documents, Movies, Downloads, etc);
    2) Open the Terminal, you will be on your home folder (type pwd to confirm);
    3) Now just type: ln -s /Volumes/HDD\ Name\ Here/Path/toYour/Folder FolderName - It will be something like:
    ln -s /Volumes/Data/Documents Documents

Do the step 3 for each folder, and you are done.

All your personal files will now be in the HDD, and the system ones on the Mac OS will redirect the application that reads these folders to the HDD.

5. supersid thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds great, I will try this tonight!

6. supersid thread starter macrumors newbie

What does the string intend to do? I have tried it, but no luck. Everything is still happening on the SSD.

What I am looking for is a way to tell my computer that the new Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders are on the HDD instead of the SSD.

Copying everything tot my HDD will work but is very cumbersome and in the end will leave me with documents in two places.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There might or might not be a problem. Sounds like you might have copied the files to the HDD rather than moved them. The ln command won't work if the folder still exists on the SSD.

The ln command creates a "soft link". Your home folder will contain what appears to be your Documents (for example) folder but it will actually be located on the HDD. A small curved arrow on the icon indicates that it is an alias (or in this case a soft link) rather than the real folder being located there.

If that arrow is present then it actually did what it was supposed to do.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Sounds overly complicated.

You should move your iPhoto, iTunes and Movies folder to the HDD. Open iPhoto/iTunes, go to the "Help" menu and type in "move library" and follow the 3 or 4 simple steps it gives you.

How much data were you using on your old computer? Does it even exceed 256 gigs? maybe you dont even need to move your folders.

9. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Although inside I expected that I would have to manually partition my data between the SSD and HDD, I was hoping I would be wrong.

Here are some potential gotchas to consider, which is why I wished there was a 512GB drive option like in the MacBook Pro...

• /Users/username/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ is where iOS apps are stored. In my case this is 4.4GB.
    • /Users/username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/ maintains your iOS backups. On this system, this is 12.5GB.
    • /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam/ is where all your Steam applications get installed. For me this is 18.9GB.
    • /Developer/ is separate. A basic XCode 4.0.2 install is 10.2GB.
    • /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Sample Projects/ is 3.0GB.
    DaisyDisk on the Mac App Store is a fun and painless way to find what's om-nom-nomming your storage.

10. ZeD X macrumors regular

What is your Hard Drive name?

type df -h on terminal and paste here.

11. supersid thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed there is a problem... OS X will not let me move the folders containing the user data. Deleting them gives the same message, see picture.

I was thinking of removing the folders using sudo in the terminal, but I am not that big a hero that I will actually do that. But so far I am stuck with a drive or OS that will not do what I want it to do. Maybe Lion will solve the problem or one of you guys has a genius plan?

Attached Files:

12. lunchfoot, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

lunchfoot macrumors newbie

Supersid, I think all you need to do is login as a different user, move the downloads folder you want to move to the HDD, right click on it (the new one on the HDD), select "more..."from the list and select "create a symbolic link". Take the newly created symlink and copy it to where the original downloads folder started out (ssd). Of course you will have to delete the symlink on the HDD then. Then delete the original downloads folder (ssd) leaving only the symbolic link in its place, and it leads straight to the newly relocated downloads folder (HDD). Then log back in as yourself. That should do it.
    Alternatively, once again logged in under a different account(or maybe not necessary just to copy it), you could copy over your whole home folder to the new location. Then go to the system prefs/Accounts pane and right click on your account to get "advanced options" button. Click on that and you will see "Home Directory" about half way down. Click the "choose" button and select your new home folder and thats it. Home folder relocated.
    This all sounds complicated but its very simple I just don't know how to write it simply.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you don't want to be a command-line hero you can still do my original suggestion (which puts every user file, including those in Library, in the HDD), or you can do links or aliases (slightly different but works fine for things like iMovie that have hard-coded folders), and as pointed out some programs (iTunes, iPhoto,...) allow relocating their libraries.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

He wouldn't have the appropriate permissions as another user, so would have to use the su command from the command line to change user. At this point he would be a Command Line Hero.

15. lunchfoot macrumors newbie

ah indeed, maybe I was overthinking it. It should, however, allow him to copy and paste the folder(s) he intends to move while logged in to his main account, correct? then do the symlink stuff i talked about, or in the case of the entire home folder just go to accounts and redirect to the new copy.

* should work I can copy and paste any system folders I want to just tried it. I've always had my home folder on another partition it's not a difficult thing to do anymore without using the terminal.

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I approve of this message. Especially the last part. Move only what you need to. Otherwise, put that SSD to good use!

17. Brelaine, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

Brelaine macrumors newbie

Hiya,

Sorry to revive an old thread hopefully people are still poking around.

I got my imac today with an SSD and attempting to move my data folders to the HDD while leaving stuff like the Library on the SSD.

I tried the method via terminal, but this isn't working for me, It won't let me delete the documents folder or downloads folder, it says it is needed by the OS.

My HDD is named iMac and my HDD is named Data.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Bre

18. ZeD X macrumors regular

Hi,

You need to use: rm -rf Downloads, Documents, etc.

One command for each folder.

19. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

why eff around with the terminal at all?

If it was that damn complicated what would be the point of a small SSD?

help >> Move Library

and how much stuff are you moving? do you even have 256 gigs of stuff to move?

20. DJHack, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

DJHack macrumors regular

I've been having the same challenges with mine. Not exactly as 'set up' as I thought Apple meant..

I have simply put pictures, documents, movies, music etc on HDD

Then Alt-Click opened each effected app and told them to go to HDD

Also, I found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015978&highlight=trying+move+documents

Although I am very nervous about starting to use terminal ... I'm not a techy person but it sounds like these linls are the most appropriate system wide way of changing locations? I might even call Apple or make a genius appointment!

I am guessing the others eg. Pages will just ave to learn!

The original folders are still on SSD but empty. I wonder if you can hide them?

Not as neat as I was hoping - wanted user document folded already on HDD and linked. Migration Assistant needs adjusting too!

21. uniqueseo macrumors newbie

i like your idea Zedx i try too .. thanks for this suggestion ..

22. c3076696 macrumors newbie

Time Machine

Hi,

My 27" iMac with SSD has just been shipped and I was just wondering how Time Machine works with multiple internal drives? I currently have a 2TB external drive I use for backing up my current iMac, will I have to choose either the SSD or the HDD to backup or Time Machine able to backup both?

Any help would be appreciated.

23. zurichuk, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

zurichuk macrumors regular

It backs up both, set mine up yesterday to back up SSD + HD (but not Parallels), with the option to exclude stuff if necessary (take a look in options to see what is backed up)

24. dwithd macrumors newbie

I have a 27" I5 256SSD and 1TB IMac I got yesterday. I have transferred all my files via migration assistant to the SSD (minus the music documents pictures and movies folders). I transfered the music documents pictures and movies folders to the 1 TB hard drive. So my Home folder is on the SSD. I am having trouble (like a few of the posters above) walking step by step through the process to get it so when I click on the iTunes folder or Iphoto to know to access the folders on the HD and not the shell folders on the SSD. I've been reading and people talk about using a symbolic link and or using the terminal. Since I don't know how to access the terminal, I fear about adjusting the code unless it is pretty strait fwd.

If anyone has some good strait fwd steps on how to fix this problem with these four folders, I would certainly appreciate it.

thanks

25. zurichuk macrumors regular

Not really an expert reply, however you can choose from within Itunes where the media goes, I copied my Itunes directory to the HD and pointed Itunes to it from within Itunes. (Preferences / Advanced)

IPhoto opens up when you click on the relevant iPhoto Library 'file' wherever it is, and I moved mine to the HD.

However I am no expert and still keep my home on the SDD to work with, and move processed, / old stuff it to the HD later.