iMac with SSD+HD vs. Mac Pro with HD+RAID raptors

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jackcohn, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jackcohn macrumors newbie

What is better:

A: iMac with system installed on fast SSD + additional slow HD

B: Mac Pro (Quad-core basic version) with system installed on original slow 7,200-rpm HD + RAID-raptors for photo and video libraries

BTW, can I just add extra (Crucial) memory to existing original one or do I need to remove original and replace it fully with all the same Crucial RAM?

Your opinions appreciated.

Thanks

2. wirelessness macrumors 6502

The iMac with a quality SSD will out perform the MP w/ any hard drive running the OS RAID or not.

The storage drive speed is really not that important of a factor in my mind. I would go with a low power low noise drive because it is really only used for storage. If I have new video or photo files I am first going to import them to a working directory on the SSD drive until I finish editing them and the move them to the HDD for storage/archive.

The MP will give you a lot more options for RAID/Storage though and easy access to upgrade/replace the SSD drives. A dual SSD RAID0 would fit perfectly in the spare optical bay. It's just not needed for most people. That is why I went with the iMac. The MP is way more flexible but I just like the form factor of the iMac and don't really need all those other options (I hope).