iMac with SSD/HDD migration

Discussion in 'iMac' started by losta, Jun 16, 2011.

1. losta macrumors member

losta

My 27" iMac with SSD/HDD arrives tomorrow. I am migrating from a Mac Pro with 4 HDDs. I am not worried about drives 2, 3 and 4 but what is the best way to migrate so I just have OS and apps on SSD and data on HDD? Also when are thunderbolt devices coming out?

Thanks in advance.

2. losta thread starter macrumors member

losta

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you can migrate using Migration Assistant to just transfer the user account and applications to the ssd. then manually just transfer your data to the 2TB secondary drive.
    what kind of data is it? iphoto library? itunes library? you can manually drag those library folders as well.

are you completely getting rid of your Mac Pro? if you need additional storage space, you may need to get for the time being a enclosure that will house multiple drives in the meantime while Thunderbolt devices and peripherals come out.
    The only thing I've heard is sometime near mid-late 2011. nothing specific.

4. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Take a Time Machine backup, and use the new iMac's Setup Assistant to migrate just what you want to the SSD. Then do the rest manually.

5. rj86 macrumors member

Easiest would be using the migration assistant with a firewire cable between the two machines when you first start your new machine.

Fastest would be using the migration assistant with a gigabit ethernet cable between the two machines when your first start your new machine.

6. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

I think you mean "Setup Assistant"

7. karthi macrumors newbie

What to DO, the transfer says 13 hrs and 12 minutes

I wanted to a cleanup my data and apps which kept on accumulating from mac to mac to mac to mac. So decided to partition with one more installation for the old data and apps, and keep the SSD OS cleaner.

After starting the transfer the mac says it would need from around 15 hrs, it oscillates between 13 and 17 and stuck around 13hrs , My old 1TB was almost full, so I am getting around the practical transfer speed of 200mbps.

My question is is there a way to stop the transfer ( with out pulling the power plug, little worried if that might corrupt the hard disk), and can the transfer utility be used to select the content, if I ignore the iMovie events and photos folder now, it would reduce to around 200MB of data.

Had I known or if it had give a warning, I would have started it yesterday night, after waiting for 6 weeks, I do not like being forced to wait for one more day.

8. losta thread starter macrumors member

losta

Yes, the usual stuff, iphoto library, itunes library, docs and stuff. I keep my RAW photos on the other drives (4 total) that are in the Mac Pro also on a Drobo. I have several FW 800 enclosures I will use for now.

The iMac has arrived but I haven't had time to set it up yet. Yes, I am getting rid of the Mac Pro and 30" cinema display, just to cumbersome to keep around and I'll just clean off 1 HDD and install a clean OS, keep the rest, sell the Mac Pro and the cinema display.

I'm thinking of doing migration assistant to the SSD of OS and Apps and the clone (Super Duper) the old drive to the HDD, eventually erase the OS and apps on the HDD.

I was just wondering what others are doing with this option. Funny it says I'm a MacRumors Newbie but I've been on this board on and off since 2002, the post count must get reset because I know I have posted more than 10 or so times.

9. losta thread starter macrumors member

losta

Karthi
    I wouldn't stop the transfer if you do your data might not show up. It find it usually takes quite a while and towards the end it slows down more. I've done hundreds of migration assistants and would not stop, just let it go.