iMac with the new Nvida Chipset?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by acuriouslad, Oct 3, 2008.

1. acuriouslad macrumors regular

I have been reading about the new MacBooks having a Nvida chipset that promises to be faster and handle HD the best so far on a mobile computer, however as an iMac is made of mainly Laptop parts will this new chipset be incorporated into them, and if so do you think it will be up at 512Mb on the 20"? I would like to play Crysis and I heard if I want to play it I really need a 512Mb graphics card.

Thanks for your comments in advance you guys are all great.;)

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Most likely since Apple will be revealing new laptops. They might update the iMacs either during the same keynote presentation or at MacWorld Expo 09.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

you don't "need" 512MB to play crysis. My MBP with 256MB 8600GT runs it just fine (1024 x768 @ medium settings, I can also bump it up to 1440 x 900 with little loss).

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

MacSoda has "confirmed" that at least the MacBook is moving to the nVidia MCP7A-U chipset and they believe the MacBook Air will also use it. The chipset launch was pushed back to October 14th by nVidia. ;)

This chipset has an integrated GPU while the iMac uses a discrete one. On the flip side, nVidia says the MCP7A-U will have the "world's fastest integrated GPU" and are considering listing it as a 9000-series part, so it might actually be faster then the current ATI 2600 in the iMac.

It stands to reason that the iMac and MacBook Pro will go to nVidia chipsets, as well, but I expect them to both to continue to use discrete GPUs. Since the MacBook Pro is already using an nVidia GPU, I expect it's update will include a true 9000-series GPU.

As for the iMac, having so recently been updated, it will likely stay with it's current platform if the ATI 2600 offers better performance. If not, then they may transition the model over to nVidia, as well, using a similar GPU as found in the MBP.

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Some places seem to think that the imac will get a minor bump, possibly shifting to 'true' merom chips, which are likely cheaper and cooler.

Of course there is the remote possibility of a GPU upgrade, to be honest i was hoping that during the last bump the imac would get a new GPU since even then they were getting long in the tooth, hopefully a shift to the 48xx series from ATI

6. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular