Imac with vertical lines on screen and crash, HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ciatzo, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Ciatzo macrumors newbie

Hi, so my imac from around 2009 crashed yesterday, while playing a free indie game. The game was not graphically intense, and the imac was running at no more than 50 degrees celsius. All of a sudden the screen became really blocky, like it stopped inbetween two frames, on half of the screen showing one frame, the other half showing a different frame. This in a checkerboard patern.

At first i tought it was just the game crashing, since it was a indie game. But when i used te power button to turn of and on the iMac, a random pattern appeared on the screen, and after about two minutes it whitescreened. I left it at the whitescreen for over 2 hours, but it didnt change. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Then i started to worry. I looked up the problem, and found some threads.
    After trying some methods. Since i dont have the apple hardware test disk anymore i couldnt run that, i did reset the nvram and pram, and boot it in safe mode. In safe mode it did boot, but there were these giant lines on the screen[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Also i can't acces the internet in safe mode, altough i don't know if this is normal.

I did just back-up all my stuff on the iMac, and will probarbly visit the genius bar sometime this week, but if anybody know this issue and how to fix it, please tell me.

I did attach a picture of the about this mac section.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. IA64 macrumors 6502

Same old story here. It was a corrupted video card due to overheating.

It will boot under OSX safe boot or Bootcamp safe mode because the drivers aren't loaded.

In my situation, when I boot in safe mode and keep it for a while or try to load some video stuff, the lines disappear and reappear. I had to install iStats pro and push the fans to the max to keep the card under control.

I ordered another iMac since mine was a late 2009 but long story short, it was the video card in my case.

3. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem with my 2008 iMac, and the cause was a logic board that went bad.