iMac without the display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ApplesAOranges, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Why won´t Apple release a computer as powerful as iMac, but without the display?

I would definitely want one!

The Mac Mini isn´t fast enough!

I want to connect it to a better display and my 50" TV.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Build your own PC. It'll be cheaper and more powerful anyways.

3. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

One big problem with that plan, I hate Windows!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well then looks like you're stuck with Apple's offerings.

5. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I know, but why do they have to force the display down our throats?

Why can´t they just make a bigger and more powerful version of Mac Mini? And maybe call it Mac Maxi?

6. rogan macrumors regular

Pointless question is pointless.

They dont because they don't need too and can't see it being worthwhile, or they'd do it.

7. iHutch105 macrumors member

Because the "Mac Maxi" almost certainly sounds like a brand of tampon?

8. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I heard it was easy to sync with the iPad.

9. thankins macrumors 6502

How is the Mac mini not fast enough? The mac mini server model uses the same Quad i7 cpu as the high end iMac

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

But the server model only has Intel HD graphics.

11. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Apple could take the iMac guts and put them in an easy to open case with some ports on the front like the Mac Pro and let me choose my own monitor. Make sure the case is big enough for two hard drives and an optical drive. I would gladly pay $1500 for it. Apple saves the cost of the built in screen and makes extra money to boot.

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well I want one too .. or they can keep the price of current MacPro .. but please include a 27" display for each purchase of a MacPro. I'll definitely get those over an iMac.

But you can keep dreaming, you can say what you want .. still Apple is going further and further from the desktop world, or even the Mac world towards the iOS era .. sad :(

13. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Apple doesn't release a headless iMac because it would cannibalize sales of the iMac. It's the only reason I can think of that they refuse to make a mid range desktop that doesn't have a monitor built in. I've been wanting this machine for years, but they refuse to make it. I make do with a Mac Mini instead.

The Mini does most everything I ask of it and then some. I am a bit upset about the lack of optical drive in the newest one, but what can you do?

14. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm curious, what do you consider a better display? And it can connect to an external monitor pretty easily. And you could just plop in an HDMI splitter, I expect, and go back and forth between the added monitor and your 50" (I wouldn't think you'd be using them at the same time unless this is some specialized application).

I'm more worried about the increasing difficulty of replacing components (well, mostly the hard drive) in these computers. Kind of a bummer to have a machine where the most failure prone component can't be fixed.

Rob