Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
I've had it for I think, a good month now, and I sleep my iMac all the time.

Well last night, my iMac was asleep, I fell asleep-- I woke up in the middle of the night and my iMac was awake...?

I just sleeped it and went back to bed-- I still have no idea how it woke itself though. This is the only time it's happened (that I've 'caught' anyway). Any ideas?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Anything connected (wirelessly even) that may turn it on? Try unplugging peripherals and turning off bluetooth...

gorby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Anything connected (wirelessly even) that may turn it on? Try unplugging peripherals and turning off bluetooth...

I don't think so (?) All I have is a USB cable in the back for my DSLR (not connected right now). Wireless internet, keyboard and mouse.

Is your mac set to wake for network activities?

It could be-- how do I check?

This happened at around 5AM pacific btw

edit- I just checked, and 'wake for ethernet network administrator access' is checked, should i uncheck that?

gorby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, perhaps you are referring to the ''wake for ethernet network administrator access'' option, which is checked

So... what does that mean?

gorby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
it might have also been a power outage .. i think the mac boots again after such a thing ...

I thought about that, but I don't think so--- my alarm clock usually starts flashing after an outage.

Plus in the system prefs, there is an option for "restart automatically after a power failure" and it is unchecked (default)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Yeah, perhaps you are referring to the ''wake for ethernet network administrator access'' option, which is checked

So... what does that mean?

Hard to tell. It's supposedly off-limits to ssh, but I don't know. It's there in case an administrator wants to check on your computer. I don't know the details, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it recurs.

gorby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Hard to tell. It's supposedly off-limits to ssh, but I don't know. It's there in case an administrator wants to check on your computer. I don't know the details, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it recurs.

There shouldn't be any other administrators aside from myself ... :eek: :confused:

But anyway thanks for the advice :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.