iMac woke by itself

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gorby, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gorby macrumors 6502

I've had it for I think, a good month now, and I sleep my iMac all the time.

Well last night, my iMac was asleep, I fell asleep-- I woke up in the middle of the night and my iMac was awake...?

I just sleeped it and went back to bed-- I still have no idea how it woke itself though. This is the only time it's happened (that I've 'caught' anyway). Any ideas?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Anything connected (wirelessly even) that may turn it on? Try unplugging peripherals and turning off bluetooth...

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Is your mac set to wake for network activities?

4. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think so (?) All I have is a USB cable in the back for my DSLR (not connected right now). Wireless internet, keyboard and mouse.

It could be-- how do I check?

This happened at around 5AM pacific btw

edit- I just checked, and 'wake for ethernet network administrator access' is checked, should i uncheck that?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you think waking might be a recurring problem, you can uncheck it. I leave mine on.

7. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, perhaps you are referring to the ''wake for ethernet network administrator access'' option, which is checked

So... what does that mean?

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it might have also been a power outage .. i think the mac boots again after such a thing ...

9. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought about that, but I don't think so--- my alarm clock usually starts flashing after an outage.

Plus in the system prefs, there is an option for "restart automatically after a power failure" and it is unchecked (default)

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hard to tell. It's supposedly off-limits to ssh, but I don't know. It's there in case an administrator wants to check on your computer. I don't know the details, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it recurs.

11. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

There shouldn't be any other administrators aside from myself ... :eek: :confused:

But anyway thanks for the advice :apple: