iMac wont accept my password

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KeegoSupremo, Jul 24, 2008.

1. KeegoSupremo macrumors member

Hey
    I restarted my computer and it asks for my password. (that parts normal) I enter it in and it wont accept it. I try it several more times making sure I am entering it right. I tried booting from my leopard cd by holding down c but it wont boot from the cd. So now I can not get on my iMac. I don't have a warranty left on it so I would rather not have to take it to apple if it can be avoided.
    Thanks for the help

2. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Have you tried to boot into Single User Mode?
    Startup the computer and immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and "S"

You might be able to do a password recovery from there.

3. KeegoSupremo thread starter macrumors member

Still no luck

Thanks for the reply, I just tried and it will not boot into Single User Mode. It boots and goes to my login. I know the keyboard is working because I can type my password it just will not accept it. And I do not have another wired keyboard to test on it anyways.
    Only thing I can think of would be removing the Hard Drive and putting it back???

4. KeegoSupremo thread starter macrumors member

well I can't get the screws out there in there tight and I don't have the proper tool to get the screws out.

So now I have no idea what to do

5. scuzy macrumors member

boot with the recovery CD you can reset the password with that.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I wouldn't do that. It would boot from cd even w. bad HDD.

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

another possibility (albeit small) is that there is a firmware password on it.

with the firmware password, you can not boot from the target drive, you can not boot from a cd.

it is the ultimate in keeping someone from using your laptop.

you can't get around it, as far as i know

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

It might be possible to reset physically, however apple does not tell us how...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

Warning: The Open Firmware Password can be reset and changed by any one of the following (except MacBook Air):

- By any administrator user, as designated in the Accounts preferences (or in Server Admin).
    - Via physical access to the inside of the computer.
    - When the computer is started up in Mac OS 9.

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I had the same iMac at work and occasionally it would do the same thing. Sadly I left my job before finding a fix.

What I would do it just keep pressing/and holding the power off button on the back to shut it down and then restart - this usually took three attempts.

I would use IceClean to repair permissions etc and the problem might go away for a while. Then it would come back - I'd do a few hard restarts and we'd be OK again.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31818

I never knew why because I never asked our Macophobic IT idiots.
    I did ask the Mac section of the computer labs we had, but I left before they answered.

Hope I have been some help.

10. KeegoSupremo thread starter macrumors member

Update

Thanks for the help

I do not have any warranty on the computer anymore.

I tried booting from the c (by pressing c on startup)---wouldn't work it would just take me to the login screen where i would type in my correct password and it would tell me it is incorrect.

I also tried booting into Single User Mode-- did not work

So after many many attempts of the above I decided to just replace the hard drive, which I have never done. I looked up some guides and I am not in the process of re installing the OS

So all should be good when it is done installing but I loose all my files that were on there (I still have the original hd so I should be able to put that in a enclosure and get any files I might need right?) also still know clue how this happend

thanks for the help again

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Good job an changing the hard drive - let me know how it went.

Only can only say ask at a genius bar at an Apple store if you want an answer. Or an Apple expert/engineer type person.

It felt like a log on preferences corruption but you couldn't boot at all - strange.