iMac wont boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jomasjc, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jomasjc macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

So I've had my Late 2013 27" iMac for almost a month now and it's been great, until this morning when I tried to turn it on... It wouldn't boot. Tried pressing the on button and holding it in, no noise, no activity on the screen at all.. It seems completely dead.

I thought it might be a power issue so I've bypassed my power board and tried different power sockets and even tested the sockets with other devices. I fear that I am going to have to go into my local Apple store, which I really didn't want/expect to do with such a new machine.

Is there anything else I can try before taking the journey in store with my mac?

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Pulling out the RAM and trying it with each stick individually.

3. Jomasjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

Thanks alksion, I didn't think of the RAM as a possible cause of the problem. I'll try that when I'm home in a couple hours and will update.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you have OS X installed in an external drive or USB, try booting from that.

EDIT: Or maybe a fuse tripped in the main power supply. So go check that out and make sure that there's power from the wall.

5. Jomasjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

Unfortunately I don't have any external OS to boot from :(

I've already tested the power points with other appliances and they work fine.

6. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Then try the RAM when you get home. If not, looks like a trip to the Apple store is in your future.

7. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Let us know what was the issue when you find out :)

8. Jomasjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

So the RAM doesn't appear to be the problem. Swapped them out and tested individually.

iMac is all packed back into its box now... Looks like I'll be heading into my local store in the morning. I'll post back with updates on what the problem is, hopefully this isn't going to turn into a massive ordeal. Not the best first experience with an iMac, but this stuff happens I guess...

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I guess it just happened to be that you were sold an iMac from a bad batch :p

10. Jomasjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

So apparently I've had to make an appointment for the Genius bar at my local store because they are busy... Earliest appointment I could get when I'm available is this Sunday so I'll update after that.

I also tried the option to send the iMac in for repair under the support section of the apple site and it said that was not an option for my product... Not sure why that is.

Anyway, I'll see what happens on Sunday and I'll report back here for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for your input guys.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Silly question but never know...did you try resetting the "SMC"?

1.Shut down the computer.
    2.Unplug the computer's power cord.
    3.Wait fifteen seconds.
    4.Attach the computer's power cord.
    5.Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

12. Jomasjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Jomasjc

Hey guys,

So I took my iMac in store today and they think it's a dead PSU/logic board... They offered to replace the iMac with a brand new item but I would have to wait for a new one to be built and shipped from China. I chose for them to repair in-store and they said it will be 3-5 days, depending on parts.

I thought it would be better and easier to just have it repaired in-store and another 3-5 days isn't too bad after being without it for almost a week now.

I'll report back again once it's been repaired for anyone who is interested and until then I just have to wait patiently.

Ps. I just had a look at the repair cost estimate on the authorisation form and it's listed as AUD$1048 :eek: Glad I don't have to pay that bill haha.