iMac wont connect to AP, everything else will

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rogo43, Oct 21, 2014.

1. rogo43, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

rogo43 macrumors member

Hey.

I rent a basement apartment from a family and use ethernet over power to obtain internet to my 27" Mid 2012 iMac. I recently bought a TP-Link Tl-WA801ND Access Point to broadcast my own network in my apartment and set it up to ensure that DHCP was off and all that stuff. Started connecting all my devices (iPad Mini, Iphone 5s, mid 2013 MBP, PS3, etc.) with out any problems. They all work and can reach the internet fine. When I attempted to connect my iMac, the computer WILL NOT work. It self assigns its own IP address, which is 169.154.1.45 (Not sure where its getting that idea) and the AP is set up to get Ip address from the FIOS router up stairs which is 192.168.1.xx .

Any ideas? I am at a complete loss and have no idea what else it could be.

Update:
    What I've narrowed it down to:

It is not the problem with the AP, because it is configured so that every device I've tried, except for the iMac works with the AP.

It is not the problem with my internet connect, because all other devices works, except for iMac.

It is not the problem with my internet card on the iMac, because I was able to connect with the FIOS Router the family has upstair but I do not want to use.

It is not the hardware problem, like I said, ethernet socket, internet card, they all work.

It has nothing to do with the software update, the software is up to date, running on Mac OS X, 10.10 Yosemite

It has to be a software issue, something to do with the configuration of the network.

I've already looked everywhere on the apple discussions, I found similar problems, but they were either unresolved, or unrelated to my problem. So what did I mess up on?

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Is there a reason you bought a TP-LINK access point? Can you return it?
    Your access point does not have extra ethernet ports.
    Any simple router can be configured to extend wifi and has additionally 4 ethernet ports. Typically at same prices.
    This way you can connect the devices like your iMac to the ethernet ports and the rest wireless.

You may have a compatibility issue with the iMac WIFI and the TP-LINK.
    Some users report WIFI issues with Yosemite.

If you only use apple devices, the easiest way for you would be to use a Airport Express ($75 refurbished). It is easy to setup and does all you need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station-june-2012