iMac wont go into target display mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by staralfur, Oct 28, 2011.

1. staralfur macrumors member

Briefly, want to connect my pc with GTX 560 ti GFX card to early 2010 iMac 27 inch.

I bought a mini display port to hdmi adapter, and am running the hdmi lead directly into the gfx card, but nothing is happening. Help please?

Link to the adapter I bought - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ERBFYM

Thank you.

2. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

The adapter that you bought is an output display adapter. I did the same thing the other day. You can hook the iMac up to a TV or some other display unit with the device but you cannot input with it.

You'll need the Kanex, or similar, device to have another device display on the iMac screen.

I wish it was as simple as the adapter that you bought but unfortunately it isn't.

3. staralfur thread starter macrumors member

Damn!

Can you give me an example of what I need??

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Something like a Kanex XD, unfortunately they're pretty pricey (due to the fact that it's not a passive converter).

5. staralfur thread starter macrumors member

6. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

Not really. You can use the Kanex with other devices as well (Blu-Ray player, 360, etc.) so it'll be worth it once you get it. The iMac has a nice screen display so you might as well milk it for what it's worth!

7. InfoTime macrumors 6502

That looks like a hell of a graphics card you've got. You probably don't want to change it but there are other high-end cards out there that have Displayport outputs.

I just built a PC with a Radeon 5770 card from Sapphire. So far I haven't had success driving my iMac. May be due to a bad cable, not sure yet. Should know tomorrow when some new cables arrive. It will drive a Dell 2408WFP that has a native Displayport input.

Follow my thread if you're interested:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1264950

8. staralfur thread starter macrumors member

Seems to be a good card all right, whats annoying me is that I could get a pretty decent 23 inch monitor for the same price as that adapter, when I move house i'll have the extra space so i'll maybe just go for that.