iMac won't goto sleep tapping power button (10.9.2)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MrMister111, Mar 13, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Since the update to 10.9.2 (I think was then started), tapping the power button on my iMac (late 2012 thin type), won't put it to sleep now.

If I leave it, it eventually does, but think thats more of the power settings time out.

I've restarted my iMac, unplugged the power cord for a while, but still won't goto sleep. This is how I've told family to put it to sleep, and obviously won't now.

Anyone help please, anyones else do this?
    thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Mavericks did change how the power button operates, and the 10.9.2 update has refined that a little more.
    What should happen: Hold the power button for a second or slightly longer, which should bring up the sleep/shutdown choice window.
    Hold for another couple of seconds should sleep your iMac, but it's tricky to get the right time interval. Don't hold TOO long, as your iMac will be forced completely off.

My guess is that Apple made that minor change so that you can't just touch the power button unintentionally, and with no time delay, sleep your Mac. I think it's probably more relevant on an rMBPro, where the power button is within the keyboard. The new time delay makes accidental touches meaningless.
    Experiment by holding the power button for different time intervals, until you get what works for you...

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks

seems you have to hold it a little longer in as you explained, but not too long or switches off! bit counter productive now. On my iMac no way of mistakenly tapping power button, maybe on a MacBook, can they differeniate systems?

4. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

My 2011 MBP has its power button built away from the keyboard and there is no way that one could accidentally press it (I've never done it). But I still have to press and hold it to put the computer to sleep.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So has it changed with Mavericks that you find?
    thanks