iMac won't install Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jarons, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jarons macrumors newbie

Hello all. This past weekend, my iMac began freezing up. It's a 21.5' iMac purchased around January / February (before the sandybridge processors came out). I turned my computer off, thinking the issue was because the computer hadn't been shut down in a while, as my computer had been resting in sleep mode for a few weeks. When I turned the computer back on (which took quite a while), I found that the Finder was unable to be used. It would crash every time an application was minimized, or went into the background momentarily (ie - Finder would crash loading Safari). Items on the desktop could barely be moved, and afterwards Finder would crash and turn itself back on again.

Today, the problem became unbearable. I repaired disk permissions, and tried to verify the disc itself - it said I needed the OS X disc that came with the computer. I restarted the computer, and opened disc permissions with the disc that came with the iMac when it was purchased. It said the hard drive was corrupted. I repaired disc permissions again, and repaired the disc itself. Afterwards, I wiped the hard drive clean, and repartitioned it, allocating all memory to be used by the one partition. I then tried to reinstall Snow Leopard.

The Snow Leopard install took a bit over 4 hours, despite it saying 38-40 minutes. When it reached around 8 minutes left on the install, it quit and said Mac OS X cannot be installed. I'm wondering if my operating system discs are faulty, or if there is a hardware issue to blame here. My computer should still be under warranty, but I'd prefer to fix it myself if possible (and easy). Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hard Disk

Failure would be my guess here. It's dying, so a replacement will be required. if you still think its your installation disks, see if a friends machine can read them. I'm betting their okay though.

3. Jarons thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good boss, thanks for the help. Once I get a new hard drive and toss it in there, should everything be fine, or does this issue sound like my computer may have other hardware issues as well?

4. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Sounds like it's just your hard drive dying. Did you buy the computer new around January / February? If so, you're still under warranty and should take it back to an Apple Store.

5. Jarons thread starter macrumors newbie

It's still under warranty, but the nearest apple store is around three hours away and I simply can't take it in.

6. DaReaper macrumors member

you have to take it in or send it in.... sucks either way..

7. RedElectro macrumors regular

Sorry to jump in... but...

I've got an old (white) iMac and I (don't laugh) wanted to put Lion on it (it's currently got leopard)... but it won't install Snow Leopard! It just tells me that "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this Machine" or words to that effect. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo with 3Gb Ram and plenty of space on the hard drive. I just don't understand what's going on? :/

I've also got a PowerMac G5 (used as a file server), MacBook Pro 15" and a MacBook Pro 17"

8. RedElectro macrumors regular

Sorted!

I was using wrong disc!! :eek:

I tried the retail version of Snow Leopard and it worked first time.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you DIY replace the HDD, then you just voided your warranty. Given that changing the changing the HDD is just a guess... and the problem can be more severe, do you really want to do that?

/Jim