iMac won't logon without server connected.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danielzink, Jul 4, 2011.

1. danielzink macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Uber-noob here.......

We've got an iMac here running OsX and we don't want to be tied to the server for everything.

Our IT guy fled town so we're left to fend for ourselves. If I disconnect the server from the desktop - we can't logon...either via our regular desktop logon - nor the admin logon...

If I connect the (RG6 ?) cable back up - after a minute or so I can log back into the desktop computer...

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks !

Dan

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yikes.

Well, so the admin login you're talking about must be the admin for the network and not the computer. Your computer has to have a local admin account that can log on even while not connected to the network.

That said... If your account is an admin account you can set your account (or others as they log in...) to be a Mobile Account. You might want to do some googling about that, but you can find more in System Preferences > Accounts and try to make your account "mobile."

You need admin rights to do this.

3. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

Right.

At the initial login screen you can type your "regular" name and log onto the iMac or type in "admin" and that pwd and log into the server....

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Do you have admin rights ? If so, log in and unbind from the domain. If you ask how do I do that, please tell me what OSX version you are running...

5. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do.

Yes - I do need an explanation :)

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Thanks !

6. danielzink, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

bumping this....really in a bad way here.....need help.....

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

8. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

9. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

welp.

That didn't work. I only had the option to "bind" not unbind.

As a side note - within the utilities I did find the "server admin" untility that gives me the option of removing a server.

I haven't tried that option yet as I'll wait for advice from someone more versed in this than myself.

Thanks !

Dan

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Give it a shot - is it finding the server you're connected to as the one to remove?

11. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

yessir.

I'm just afraid that if I do say to "remove this server" I won't be able to log back on once I log off (ever again....) which goes back to my initial post.

With the server disconnected - when I try to log on - the logon box thinks for a second - then shakes and and refuses to let me go any further...

Will try it...

Will report back...

12. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

well.

It seems my worst fears have been realized.

I deleted the server as stated in the earlier reply.

logged off and restarted....

Now I can't log in at all.

fark....

13. danielzink thread starter macrumors newbie

New chain of events......

I have logged back on - but only with the server connected via the RG6 cable.

In the Utility/Server Admin

It shows no servers - yet I cannot log in unless I am connected to said server box - though it doesn't show up....

How about this ? Can I do a reinstall of the OS from here - now that I'm logged on - and negate the server upon reinstallation ?

man.....I'm just trying to help out a friend here....and I'm not doing a very good job so far...

Thanks.

Dan

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

You seem to have a very very weird set up going on, certainly not what I'd be expecting!

A reinstall is probably is the best solution by far - do you have a backup of any important data on the machine? If not, get one done ASAP! Once you've done that, then you can simply wipe the client machine clean and reinstall OS X - it will then act as a standalone workstation, with no memory of the server.

You can pop in an OS X disc and start an installation from the desktop, though my preferred method would be to put the disc in, and then restart whilst holding down the c key to force disc boot. That said, the latter may not work depending on what settings your IT guy put in - but definitely worth trying.