Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stratusphunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
So I have a 27 inch iMac that's about 3 years old running snow leopard 10.6.8. It has 16 gigs of RAM. In the last two days it's basically quit running almost any application. When you click on what you want, basically nothing happens. It also says the "finder quit unexpectedly"-it will however run itunes and Sibelius (music scoring program) just fine.

So I know this mac was one that may have a bad seagate drive in it. My question is, what are the chances it's NOT the hard drive failing? I tried safe mode- same thing happens. Tried repairing disk utility, but it won't open it. Oh, and yeah, it's not backed up. Stupid I know. So is there no way to back it up before I get the hard drive replaced? Assuming that's the problem? Anything else I should try?

Thanks for any help you guys have...

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
So I have a 27 inch iMac that's about 3 years old running snow leopard 10.6.8. It has 16 gigs of RAM. In the last two days it's basically quit running almost any application. When you click on what you want, basically nothing happens. It also says the "finder quit unexpectedly"-it will however run itunes and Sibelius (music scoring program) just fine.

So I know this mac was one that may have a bad seagate drive in it. My question is, what are the chances it's NOT the hard drive failing? I tried safe mode- same thing happens. Tried repairing disk utility, but it won't open it. Oh, and yeah, it's not backed up. Stupid I know. So is there no way to back it up before I get the hard drive replaced? Assuming that's the problem? Anything else I should try?

Thanks for any help you guys have...

Find a way to back up NOW! Even if it isn't a hard drive problem (and I think it is) back up just in case. Does system preferences still open? If it does, use it to turn on time machine.

stratusphunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Find a way to back up NOW! Even if it isn't a hard drive problem (and I think it is) back up just in case. Does system preferences still open? If it does, use it to turn on time machine.

it still opens, and I'm able to bring up time machine and click it "on"-then when I click choose drive...rainbow wheel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.