iMac won't pick up VST .dll files on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KrazeMusic, Nov 17, 2009.

1. KrazeMusic macrumors newbie

KrazeMusic

Dear fellow Mac users!

I purchased my iMac a few months ago (two days before the new ones came out) with intentions to use it strictly for music work. Until now, I have always used PC & Windows at home but when working in studio, I have always had to use Logic. The program I depend on is FL Studio/Fruity Loops, I can work on others but to me that is the simplest program to create ideas on and then can bring into further programs for mastering etc. later. Since you can now run Windows (via Boot Camp) on Mac I thought it would be a good investment to buy a computer that can run both Windows & Mac programs.

Due to the version of Windows XP I purchased putting me at a standstill (because the product key was invalid), I have been waiting since purchase for a replacement copy from Microsoft to arrive. Finally, yesterday it came and I started installing straight away.

I partitioned my 1TB drive into two equal amounts, then installed Windows XP (SP 2) without any problems or hick ups. Once Windows had finished installing, I loaded up the Mac drivers from the OSC installation disk, updated Windows and then started to install my first programs.

I have now successfully installed FL Studio (9) so have begun to install my massive plug-in collection from various external USB hard drives, which is where I have come across my problem.

All my plug-in's are for Windows, therefore are VST's with .dll plug-in shortcuts. After trying to install one or two of them, I noticed that FL Studio wasn't picking the .dll files up. I checked that FL is searching for them on the right drives and in the correct folders, and have tried installing them again in case something went wrong during installation, but still no luck. I thought maybe it's because Mac only uses AU plug-in's so maybe my VST's will not be compatible (without using certain programs to load VST's in as AU's)? But then, I remember I'm not using the Mac system, so they should work! Due to all of my plug-in's being on external hard drives, they are still all fully installed and set up for Windows XP on my PC so I decided to try and launch the application files, which open the actual plug-in itself and I had great success opening the plug-in's by themselves from My Computer. So now I am fully out of ideas!

In case it saves time people asking, my iMac spec is...
    Processor: 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 DUO
    Memory (RAM): 8GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM (2X4GB)
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON HD 4850 512MB
    Memory (Hard Disk): 1.0TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
    Operating System: Snow Leopard Version 10.6
    (when I went into system on Windows via Control Panel, it said Windows was running 2.97GB of RAM with the full 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo processor)

I think I've included as much detail as possible. Please, if anyone knows what's causing this problem it would be much appreciated if you replied!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. KrazeMusic thread starter macrumors newbie

KrazeMusic

I've found out .dll files will only work on Windows on PC. But I have come across a free application called VFX by SM Pro Audio which is a piece of software which will open as a plug-in and can load Windows based plug-in's on the Mac system. The only question I have, is can you still use VFX on Windows on your Mac when running it via Boot Camp assistant?