iMac wont read my 2TB seagate drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zelnaga, May 27, 2011.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi guys. Ive just brought an iMac and its not seeing anything on the HDD. Its showing the correct available space but when opening the external HDD on the desktop it just shows up as blank. Can anyone help?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

How was your external formatted? Were you using with a PC before?

3. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Its NTFS and showed up on the desktop but now just installed NTFS-3G, but it still wont read the drives (now its not even showing on desktop). Its saying ntfs-3g could not mount /dev/disk1s1/ at volumes/freeagent goflex drive/

Get the error but since this is my first day on iMac how do i get to the required file path?

/Library/Filesysystems/fuesfs.fs/support/fusefs.kext

Also says check kernal logs or try kextutil((8) the macFUSE file system is not available.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

OSX/Mac cannot read NTFS formatted drives, so while it recognizes that it is there, none of your files will show. I am guessing you are trying to copy your backup onto your new Mac. You're going to need a Mac/PC compatible formatted drive (FAT32). HFS+ is the Mac standard and NTFS is the PC standard.

5. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Yup I installed NTFS-3G the free software to read and write NTFS. Heres the exact problem Ive been getting.

[​IMG]

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Ah, I see. I'm not too familiar with that software, so I won't be of any help there.

7. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

A ".kext" is a kernel extension (or driver, in a way) and is what macFUSE uses to add NTFS support. This error message indicates it's likely corrupted, and I'd suggest just re-installing it.

8. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help anyway. Anyone help with this problem? It's priority for me to get this external HD operational. I don't fancy installing windows 7 on my first day after spending so much on a mac.

9. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Read my post above: reinstall the NTFS-3G drivers.

10. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Mac OS X can read NTFS drives just fine. It just can't write to them.

I would recommend using exFat for drives intended to be used between OSX and Windows.

11. bclk55 macrumors newbie

Download the latest version of macfuse and reinstall it. I had the same problem and that fixed it.

12. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Hi guys. ive uninstalled and reinstalled NTFS-3G with no luck, also redownloaded MACFUSE (from their own website) and still getting the same message.

Anything else I can try? This is the only thing that needs ticking off before I dont have to go back to windows.

13. bclk55 macrumors newbie

14. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular