iMac Won't Recognize Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bigwheels, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Bigwheels macrumors newbie

I have a pre-Intel iMac G5, running OS 10.5.8. I have been using an HP LaserJet P3005, connected with a USB2 cable, with no problems. The fuser got "muddy" on the 3005 so I bought a new HP LaserJet P2035n. I've loaded and reloaded the printer software from the provided CD, downloaded the driver software from the HP support website, but the computer doesn't recognize the printer. Called HP support and everything they suggested came up empty; they told me to exchange the printer for a another new one, but I get the same results with it. I'm using the same USB cable I used with the 3005 -- it worked perfectly with that printer as recently as this morning. What's wrong with my iMac or setup?

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Its possible the drivers for that printer are not supported for that Mac, nothing I can really say about that mate but to return the printer and find one that is fully supported for your G5 iMac.

Edit: did a Google search, apparently their is a few probs with this printer on the Mac end, for starters its not networkable, so just take it back and get a different brand.

3. Bigwheels thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mike. I wondered about that too, but just checked the specs for this printer on the HP website and OS 10.5 is a "supported operating system."

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Apparently thats a lie if you can't get it to run. :D

5. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Examine your printer setup with CUPS?

Not sure if this may help but Macs also have the Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) installed and printers can be managed in this way. For access to this, type the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.

6. Bigwheels thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Checked the CUPS drivers, and believe it or not, there isn't one for the 2035 -- lots of others though. So I returned the printer again and bought a Brother, and it works fine.