iMac won't start, clicking noise, can't boot from CD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thesdx, Jul 10, 2012.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I've got a late-2007 2.0GHz iMac w/1GB RAM, 750GB Western Digital HD (replaced 2 years ago after an HD failure) running Snow Leopard. I woke up this morning and found it frozen on the screensaver, so I did a force reboot and it sat on the grey Apple logo for about 5 min. Did another force reboot and only got a blank grey screen with an internal clicking noise that repeats every second (kind of sounds like a clock, but goes DA-DUNK, DA-DUNK). I tried booting from the Snow Leopard disc and the mouse cursor came up, but neither the HD nor the disc appear in the selection. I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC, but no luck. Tried D, Command R, S, and T, but got nothing.

My first inkling was that it's a hard drive failure, but I hadn't experienced any of the usual signs prior to this. It had been running a little slow for a while and felt really hot to the touch, but that was probably due to low RAM and heavy use. Also, I was able to boot from a CD just fine when I last had a hard drive failure. Could this be a dead logic board?

It's probably time for a new machine anyway. Luckily everything's backed up to a Time Machine drive. Would the cost of taking this thing to the Genius Bar and having it sent off for repair outweigh it's actual value?

2. wordsworth macrumors regular

Have you tried this? Apologies if you have.

1. Start your Mac while holding down the alt key.

2. After a little while your Mac should display the Startup Manager, and a list of icons that represents all of the bootable devices available to your Mac.

3. Insert your Snow Leopard Install DVD into your slot-loading DVD drive.

4. After a short time the Snow Leopard Install DVD icon should show as one of the bootable devices. If it doesn’t, click the reload icon (a circular arrow) that is available on some Mac models, or restart your Mac.

5. Once the Install DVD icon displays, click it to restart your Mac and boot from the Installation DVD. It may take a little while.

6. You can then use Disk Utility to check your hard drive and, if you’re lucky, you will be able to make any necessary repairs.

I used this method when my MacBook wouldn’t boot from the Install Disk directly.