iMac wont start sometimes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by B.winkle, Apr 3, 2011.

1. B.winkle macrumors member

Twice in the past 3 weeks my imac would not start per the usual way
    A. press the space bar since it's asleep.
    B. push the power button since it off.
    Both times I had to hold the power button for 8 seconds, wait a few more seconds then press the power button=> booted up fine. In each case I don't remember if I had previously shut it off or put it to sleep. Ideas? Do I need to be worried? Works like a champ in every other way.:confused:

2. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

3. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Mines has had the same problem when waking from sleep.

Every so often I click the mouse or hit a button on the keyboard and it just does nothing.

4. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

5. johneone macrumors newbie

I've been having a similar problem, except the way I get it to turn on is to unplug the power for 10-15 seconds and then hit the power button.

It's done it at least three times. If it continues I'll be taking it in to apple.

6. capecod565 macrumors member

Try this, it worked for me

This has been happening to my new 27" iMac also. I have to hold power button in to shut it off, then unplug power cord to let it re-set its little brain. Then plug back in, and start it with power button, but while you start it up, you hold the Option and Command and P and R keys down and wait for it to do its start up chime twice, then release those keys.
    Those were my instructions from my Apple Care person.
    It seems OK now, but my screensavers dont work any more. And Apple Care is working on that, as this seems to be a problem that they have not seen before.
    Jane

7. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I will try this approach.

8. omyard macrumors regular

My Dad's iMac has had this problem. I looked into it and heard it might be a problem with the bluetooth devices dropping the connection with the iMac for whatever reason and thus not being able to wake the iMac. Easiest way to see if it's a bluetooth problem would probably be to hit the caps lock key and press a key on the keyboard. If the caps lock key light is on and the keyboard doesn't wake the iMac you know it's a sync issue with the iMac and keyboard.

I haven't looked into the problem after that. So that's about as helpful as I can be.