iMac wont start up!!! Please help!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jaredhmn, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Jaredhmn macrumors newbie

Yesterday I was running my iMac importing tv shows to put on my iPad when we suddenly got an unexpected power outage. When I tried turning it back on it got as far as the start up chime and a grey screen then shut off. I tried ejecting the disk before it shut off one time as the disk is not mine and then it wouldn't even get to the grey screen. I tried a number of troubleshooting tips and now it only puts of a dim high pitched noise. This is about the 4th time this has happened because of a power surge and each time I had to get costly repairs preformed on it. Please help me!! :(

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Hold the mouse button clicked while you turn the computer on, that should force the disk to eject. Did you have a surge protector?

3. Jaredhmn thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk still wont eject. The computer doesn't seem to respond at all when power button is pressed. I did have it plugged into a surge protector so Im not sure why this is happening. But it isnt still plugged into the surge protector it is right in the wall.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Surge suppressors have limits and won't work if the outlet isn't grounded. If you've had this happen several times, then either the outlet isn't grounded, you only have a power strip, or the surge suppressor has done as much as it can.

The power supply or the logic board may have been fried--those would be the two most likely parts that would cause it to shut down promptly like it is. After getting it fixed, I'd recommend investing in a much better surge suppressor, like a good quality UPS from APC.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Check link in my sig. Particularly about resetting the SMC.

6. Jaredhmn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help! :)
    I live in a relatively new house so the outlets are grounded. I imagine surge suppressor did as much as it could :p I will definitely be investing in a UPS and a external hard drive at that.

Those have been the issues the previous occurrences and imagine that is probably the case now. We get frequent power surges because we live in the country so the power company will be getting the repair bill!!

7. Jaredhmn thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried that and it didn't work :(
    I am pretty sure I have tried everything so I will be taking it to apple within the next week. Thank you for your help though!!