IMAC won't start up. White screen keeps loading

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Griam, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Griam, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

Griam macrumors newbie

I have an IMAC. Yesterday I turned it on but it kept loading (there's a white screen with the apple and a circle running all the time).

I tried to restart holding the option key but the only icon appear is the Hardrive one and if I click on that it gets the same loading page.
    I followed the instructions on the apple page and tried to reset NVRAM / PRAM. Result is that I have a brighter white screen page with the apple icon and the circle still running.
    I went to next step and it suggested to insert the Mac OS X Install disc in the Mac and then hold the "C" key. I did it but nothing came up (apart the apple and the loading circle).

Any help on this???

Thank you!!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Since the drive won't eject it might be time for a trip to the Apple store.

3. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

the disk just came out. That's a relief :)

But problem persists though...

4. iiamthelaw macrumors newbie

I had similar problem, but resetting the SMC seemed to sort it out. heres my thread.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1364930

Can you get onto your computer at all? because with mine it would come on about half the times I tried and get stuck at the screen you mentioned the rest of the time. I dont know if this will help, but its worth a try, right?

5. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip. I tried and unplugged the cable for more than 30 seconds but I still have the same issue. Since I have this problem (last night) I can't access the computer at all. :(

6. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

and now I turned it on again and there a noisy fan coming out from the pc! :eek:

7. wtmk81 macrumors regular

wtmk81

Same thing happened to me on Thursday. I made a genius appointment for Sunday and they tried to reload Lion on it and it turned out my hard drive was fried. Luckily I have all my stuff backed up. The install takes 3-5 business and cause I've had it less then a year (bought Jan 2012) it's free.

8. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

did you have only the fan issue or also the white screen freeze one?

9. mollywix macrumors newbie

I think your hard drive is fried. This happened to me this summer. I had not backed up anything. I cried. But, I found an awesome dude who got 99% of my stuff back and charged me very little. Good luck.

10. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't backed up either. So it's time to cry for me I guess.

11. wtmk81 macrumors regular

wtmk81

White screen issue. However the computer was pretty loud, I wasn't sure if it's HDD noise or the fan.

12. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I managed to enter in the disk utility with the Mac Install OS X disc.

I repaired the disk and said that was ok (that was a relief)

Then I repaired the disk permissions and it said the permission differed for some System/Library files. And right below the message the file was repaired.

Only for one I didn't get the repaired message. For one I got:

Warning: Suid file"System/Library/CoreServices...etc has benn modified and will not be repaired.

Not sure if this cause the pc not to start.

Then I restart everything but I get the same loading issue.

Any suggestion on what am I doing wrong in checking the utilities?

Thanks!!!

13. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

You can safely ignore these messages. You can also usually ignore any "ACL found but not expected..." message. These messages can occur if you change permissions on a file or directory; they are accurate, but generally not a cause for concern.

Taken from: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

14. Griam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Razorhog.

Any other thing I can check on utilities? Because even though it says the disk is ok the issue persists when I restart.

15. dervmonkey macrumors newbie

If you ever find you cannot eject a disk turn the Mac off, then back on holding down the T key (for Target disk mode) the eject button then normally works without the need to boot the OS.